This is the Message Centre for Bluebottle

10.10.2017 - Happy World Mental Health Day

Post 1

Bluebottle

At lunchtime today to promote World Mental Health Day at work I had a little stall and some leaflets and was ready to promote the staff running club to any members of staff wanting to know how beneficial running can be. Unfortunately they'd shoved us down in the basement where no-one's likely to go, so there wasn't any interest at all - not a sausage.

Sometimes I think the uni holds these events in order to say they've done something for, for example, World Health Day, but don't want them to be noticed at all which is why we're shoved out of the weay rather than somewhere people pass by.

<BB<

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

What a shame! smiley - sadface Sorry you didn't get more interest. Maybe next year preempt them with a suggestion about a booth outdoors?

Post 3

bobstafford

All that effort but you did try well donesmiley - applause

Post 4

Bluebottle

I wrote a few notes of event feedback to be fed back via the union. The thing is, the university holds two sorts of events:

1.) Ones that the Vice Chancellor will be attending. These inevitably involve him giving a speech about how wonderful he is and how he wants to make everyone else redundant while giving himself a big bonus to celebrate the fact he earns twice as much as the Prime Minister and that since his appointment and his decision to drastically cut staff, teaching standards have declined and classroom sizes have increased, but the uni's making more money than ever. These events have a blaze of publicity and are all-but mandatory.

2.) Other events that the VC won't be at. These aren't advertised and shoved in out-of-the-way locations.

<BB<

Post 5

You can call me TC

I you are posted in such an out of the way place, why not stick arrows all over the place, directing people to the stall, but not saying exactly what it is. Or footprints on the floor or something.

smiley - footprintssmiley - footprints

Post 6

Bluebottle

A good idea in theory, unfortunately where I work we're not allowed to so much as Blu Tack a piece of paper saying we're out of the office or a lecture's cancelled to any doors without it being considered a major fire hazard (presumably because of all the cancelled lecture notice spontaneous combustions we're always hearing about).smiley - huh

<BB<

Post 7

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Aha. I am familiar with situations of this ilk. Condolences. smiley - cheerup

I lost an (adjunct but full-time) position when the college closed the language department - they needed to expand the sport programme, and who needs a language department?

Obviously, modern humans find the cost of being undereducated fully acceptable. smiley - sigh

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Bluebottle

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more