This is the Message Centre for Bluebottle

Subbing 'Return of the Psammead'

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hiya BB, me again! smiley - smiley

I am working on A87897019 <--- I wish you would click this link smiley - winkeye

1st query:
>>However, over the course of the series it is revealed that she had never had a childhood of her own, being a lonely only child raised by a harsh nanny named Norah.<<

it's "she had never had a childhood of her own" that I have an issue with there, she did have a childhood, but it was lonely. Would you like to rephrase it, or shall I, and then you can approve it or not.

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - pumpkin

Post 2

Bluebottle

Ah, that's a wish that's easily granted, but you won't get another 'til tomorrow. smiley - magic

You're right, she had been a child, so we should rephrase it to:
'she had never been allowed or able to play or act as a child when young'

<BB<

Post 3

Your suggestion:
However, over the course of the series it is revealed that she had never been allowed or able to play or act as a child when young, being a lonely only child raised by a harsh nanny named Norah.

That's still a bit clunky, how about:

However, over the course of the series it is revealed that her own childhood was unhappy, being a lonely, only child raised by a harsh nanny named Norah.

Post 4

Bluebottle

smiley - taYes, that's better. smiley - biggrin

<BB<

Post 5

smiley - ok

>>She refuses to let the children call her by her Christian name as that is too familiar, and insists she calls them the more formal Aunt Marchmont.<<

shouldn't that be:

She refuses to let the children call her by her Christian name as that is too familiar, and insists they call her the more formal Aunt Marchmont.

Post 6

Bluebottle

smiley - dohYes, you're right – that's exactly what I meant, sorry.
I have read through this entry a few times and can't believe I didn't spot that.

<BB<

Post 7

It never hurts to have a second pair of eyes look over your work smiley - bigeyes

All subbed and ready for final approvalsmiley - ok

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - pumpkin

Post 8

Bluebottle

I've read through and it all looks good to me smiley - ta - press the smiley - magic button!

<BB<

Post 9

smiley - magic

Post 10

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magic

Post 11

Bluebottle

smiley - wowHurray!

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Bluebottle

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more