This is the Message Centre for Bluebottle

Gnomon calling Bluebottle

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi BB.

AgProv2 is having problems removing his German Army Officer entry from the Writing Workshop so that he can put it into Peer Review.

As a Guide Editor, would you be able to try removing it for him? If that doesn't work, we might have to get Pastey to have a look.

smiley - smiley

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

F6334734?thread=3810260

Post 3

Bluebottle

It should be okay now - hopefully there aren't any more problems. If there are, then yes, we'll call on Pastey.

<BB<

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks.

Do you know how difficult it is to type Pastey without typing Pastry? I have a similar problem in work - every time I type the name of one of my colleagues, Breda, it comes out as Bread.

smiley - cake

Post 5

Bluebottle

I've had similar problems with a few names - and I've had worse problems with my old spell-checker, which when I was writing history essays would always change 'Elizabeth I' to 'Elizabeth and I' and Henry VIII to Henry HIV, as Roman Numerals weren't in its database...smiley - winkeye

<BB<

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Are you thinking, even vaguely, of going to Manchester in June? There are a couple of people going who I wouldn't mind meeting, but one person I would like to meet is missing from the list of attendees.

Post 7

Bluebottle

Who is that then, and do I know them?

Alas, I don't think I'll be able to attend the meet this year. Last time I checked they were thinking of having it either the weekend of the 7-8th June, when I'm attending my wife's cousin's wedding, or the 14th-15th June, which is when I'm doing the London to Brighton Bike Ride. Unfortunately I'm unlikely to go as far as Manchester outside school holidays, so sadly I won't be able to go this year unless they've changed the date again?

It's a shame as I would have liked to have gone, and have definitely enjoyed the ones I've been to, but it's the old story of not being able to be in two places at once. I'm sure we'll meet up at one somewhen though. smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Aw, that's a pity.

There are certain people who I definitely do not want to spend an evening drinking beer with, so it's only worth my while going if there are enough people there that I really want to meet. I can see two on the list at the moment; your presence would have brought it up to three.

If I'm ever down Southampton direction, I'll be sure to let you know.

Post 9

Bluebottle

I'd like that - although I'd better warn you that in real life I'm usually the quiet one in the corner not saying a lot.

If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll let you know too. smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 10

Bluebottle

smiley - giftOh, and Happy Birthday!

<BB<

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks BB.

Post 12

Bluebottle

I'm trying to make a list of the Uni Projects, and was wondering if you have any articles that you'd retrospectively like to have considered to be a project. For instance, your Lord of the Rings characters ones (they seem to be a bit all over the place in the categorisation system).

<BB<

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

The Tolkien entries weren't really intended as a Project; I was just filling gaps in the Guide. As a result, there's no real consistency between them. If you feel they hang together, you're welcome to put them together, but I'm not pushed either way.

At the moment there is:

The Silmarillion
Dwarves
Elrond
Gandalf (not yet published)
Sauron (in Peer Review)
Galadriel (in Peer Review)

On the other hand, there are other Entries about Tolkien and his world by other people. It might not be fair to Aragorn to exclude him the project just because I didn't write it.

smiley - canofworms

Post 14

Bluebottle

For now, then, we could wait to see what happens with the other Tolkein entries and make a decision then. (I might try and ensure in the meantime that they're categorised in the same places at least, so it is easier to read them all).

<BB<

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Meta?

Post 16

Bluebottle

smiley - ermI never thought our 'letting you know that I've read your entry again but don't actually have anything new to say at the moment so I'll just say something random in the meantime for now so that you don't feel that your Peer Review entries are being completely ignored' comments would merit a smiley - thepost entry... smiley - huh

<BB<

Post 17

Bluebottle

I don't suppose you consider your Crete-related entries to be part of a Crete project, do you - or even part of a larger 'Greece' project?

A765146 - The Minoan Civilisation of Crete
A776090 - Iraklion, Crete, Greece
A4596735 - The Decipherment of Linear B
A826616 - A Tourist Guide to the Minoan Civilisation
A24738618 - The Phaistos Disc

<BB<

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

I don't like making a "project" of my entries about Crete when there are other entries about Crete by other people, such as the Crete entry itself. Making mine into a project seems to guide readers away from the other entries.

On the other hand, adding them to the project as well seems a bit presumptuous and the styles don't necessarily match.

(Mind you, there are times when I am glad to steer people away from certain entries in the Guide).

Post 19

Bluebottle

Fair enough.

(Definitely steer people away from any of the rubbish I've churned out...)

<BB<

Post 20

Bluebottle

Quick question – is there a way to see macron accents with GuideML (other than the not very reliable HTML # way)? I don't think so, but thought I'd ask.

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post