A Conversation for Driving Etiquette - Thailand

Flashing headlamps

Post 1

Captain Kebab

Flashing headlamps does not mean don't go in the UK, nor does it mean, go, after you, or get out of the way.

To quote the Highway Code, "Flashing your headlights means only one thing - it lets another road user know you are there." Just like the horn, it should be used only as a warning.

Many British motorists use it to mean 'after you', many also use it to say thank you. It's also commonly used to berate the car in front for going too slowly in the opinion of the flasher. And it's quite often used because a motorist recognises a friend coming in the opposite direction. Confusing.

In a previous life as a driving instructor, I always advised my students not to flash their headlamps at all, and that if they saw another motorist flash they should only assume that the headlamps are working on the other car.

Flashing headlamps

Post 2

Pond_Rat [life is weird - laugh at it.]

In Oz it usually means coppers about so SLOW down...

Flashing headlamps

Post 3

Kay Ess

You're right. I should have written that in the UK it means the same as using your horn.

In the sense that I said it I meant the common occurance where somebody waits for you and gives you a 'flash' of their lights which means 'go on'. The footnote should have been more complete.

Flashing headlamps

Post 4

sukhumvit

Well, in Thailand it definitely means "Look out! I'm coming, so get out of my way." smiley - yikes

Flashing headlamps

Post 5

terrymaz

flashing lights, I though were originally intended replaced horn to lessen noise in urban areas. In my dads time before I old enough to drive (50+ years ago), cars sounded them continuously in most of north America, Trend began as flash to pass (overtake), instead of using horn. but even in some locations their still used excessively. But was looking over grandsons drivers manual it still indicates the correct way should sound horn to indicate intention to pass. As the reverse of flashing lights to let the other go first, Usually the behavior and movement of the car (Like reading someones body language) is usually more telling of intentions than any signals or horn. A rapidly aggressively driven car with flashing lights should be watched carefully. Seen this often near hospitals etc, flashing light at intersection most often with 4 way emergency lamps flashing and occasionally the horn. Its not the lamps or horn to be careful of its the driver actions that most truly indicate intention. But sounds like Montreal on steroids, or some of the major us cities.

Flashing headlamps

Post 6

Taff Agent of kaos

flashed the headlight on mysmiley - biker the other night

the car coming toward me only had one headlight working, so i gave him a couple of quick flashes and pointed toward his light

he just hit me back with full high beams to dazzle me

inconsiderate bassmiley - bleeptard!!!

smiley - bat

Flashing headlamps

Post 7

Peanut

then there is the frantic flashing of lights from everyone coming towards you indicating a speed trap smiley - yikes, not that I ever

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more