A Conversation for A Little Bear Called Sooty

Sounds like...

Post 1

CRich70

Sooty has a similar start to Thomas the Tank Engine. As I understand it his creator had to find a way to amuse his young son who was ill (with measels if I recall) so he crafted the original Thomas out of some scrap wood pieces and soon was telling his son stories of the Tank Engine's adventures.

Sounds like...

Post 2

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

smiley - ta for enlightening me smiley - smiley

perhaps one of us could write an entry on Thomas smiley - smiley

Sounds like...

Post 3

I have found this A721126

Sounds like...

Post 4

Malabarista - now with added pony

That's basically how Astrid Lindgren started writing, too. I seem to remember she invented Pipi Longstocking first, to entertain an ill child.

Sounds like...

Post 5

perhaps the secret garden may have had that too

Sounds like...

Post 6

And the "Redwall" series was written for an entire children's hospital, if memory serves correctly smiley - laugh

Sounds like...

Post 7

It seems like there maybe another Entry could be generated from ths thread.

Sounds like...

Post 8

True!

Sounds like...

Post 9

CRich70

For that matter Kenneth Grahame first wrote down the tales that became "Wind in the willows" because his young son didn't want to miss out on a nightly bedtime story from his father when he (the son) went on holiday. Even Barney the purple dinosaur got his start from a parent's need to entertain a child. He started out a greyish color but was made purple when Barney made the transition to video (purple showed up better on the film). And for a touch of the classics R.L. Stevenson first conceived of "Treasure Island" when he drew a map of an island for his young step-son Lloyd Osborne, and L.Frank Baum first invented the land of Oz for his children and their friends. I wonder how many childhood stories told by a parent have become such well loved classics the last few centuries. Probably quite a few.

Sounds like...

Post 10

There's always Tolkien, too...

And my little sister smiley - whistle She "discovered" that her left hand was a very chatty snake and her right hand was its slightly more sensible tail when the youngest was bored in the car (on the way to the museum smiley - laugh) and now she's studying puppeteering.

I've just had a postcard signed by her, her boyfriend, and the snake and his tail. smiley - silly But smiley - shhh I think she plans to make a career of them!

Key: Complain about this post