A Conversation for Isle of Wight Shipwrecks: 'Pacific Glory'

Pacific Glory

Post 1

Smudger879n

I was on board HMS ZULU at the time of the rescue attempt and remember it very well. We had just finished an eight week work up at Portland (work up is eight weeks of no sleep,hot food or relaxing time, it is all war games and hell) So we were just not in the mood for more, as you can imagine. Half the crew were on weekend leave so the crew that were left on board were having a well earned drink!
So you can imagine the response that was given when the Action Stations alert went out, we thought ut was a joke, but as history shows, it was not! I would never have thought that after all we had just been through, and given that we were only half a crew, that we were capable of what happened over the next three days and nights.

Pacific Glory

Post 2

Bluebottle

As I wasn't born until a year and a half after the events of the Pacific Glory, I'm very interested to know more from a first hand point of view. What was it like to have seen her from the Zulu, and what would you say I've completely missed from the short article?

<BB<

Pacific Glory

Post 3

Smudger879n

Hi Bluebottle, sorry I took your reply the wrong way, I have been told that I put my reply on the wrong section,(what do you expect from a wrinkly trying to work computers?}If you go to my 210712 page you will see my reply for you. If you want to more more just let me know.When I come to thimk of it the Pacific Glory was not the only disaster I have seen,I just remember that one so clearly, as it was my first one, and I was only 18 yrs. old at the time.
Hope to hear from you soon, Smudger.

Pacific Glory

Post 4

Bluebottle

Conversation continuing: F105749?thread=228848

<BB<

Thread Moved

Post 5

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Isle Of Wight Shipwrecks: Pacific Glory' to 'Isle of Wight Shipwrecks: 'Pacific Glory''.

Pacific Glory

Post 6

Bluebottle

Picture added nowsmiley - ok

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Isle of Wight Shipwrecks: 'Pacific Glory'

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more