A Conversation for Baby's Stuff: What you need and what you don't.

Post 1

World Service Memoryshare team

Hey Anna Banana,

There's some great advice in here smiley - ok I didn't know about pressure cookers...

I've come up with a few tweaks

Under Baby´s feeding and soothing

Many bibs (even for breast-feeded newborn babies) to protect the clothes.

You could add:

In addition, you'd be surprised at what ends up in the folds of a baby's neck, and putting a bib on can help prevent sore skin.

Under Baby´s nursery

2. Shelf about the changing
should be 'Shelf above'

4. Heater-reflector - I'm not familiar with this - what is it?

Had you thought about dividing each section into 'Things you need' and 'Things you don't need'?

smiley - smiley

Anna

Post 2

Simon the Silly Sausage (Gone AWOL from h2g2)

Hiya Anna,
Just a few more points.

You can buy very cheap sterilizers that go inside the microwave. Also sterilizing tablets are still popular. I must confess we bought a new electric sterilizer the other week when our old one blew up.

I've heard that baby changing units are dangerous, even for young babies. They should always be changed on the floor, where there is no danger of them rolling off and falling.

Baths... They are not just for keeping a baby clean, all babies get alot of pleasure from water. It must feel similar to being inside the womb, so even though lots of baths may be unecological, I think I'd rather miss out on my bath and make sure my baby got hers.
The best way to save water is for the whole family to get in at the same time smiley - smiley

Balkony is spelt balcony. I'd never given any thought to using nappy sacks before now, thanks for pointing that out.

Having a baby is expensive, and there are lots of superflous things we buy, this entry will be very useful for new parents.

Post 3

Anna Banana

Hello, Anna, and thank you for advices, I´ll change the entry. Hm, a thought about a division into necessary and unnecessary things is not that bad. I´ll try it.

A heater-reflector is a radiator you can put above the changing unit to warm the air while changing the baby. It is quite nice for 'winter babies'.

As for the pressure cookers I am such a fan of them that I´ve even thought about writing an entry about cooking with the pressure cookers. They really save plenty of time and plenty of vitamins because the liquid where all the vitamins are going to stays in a pot.

smiley - smiley Anna Banana

Post 4

Anna Banana

Hello, Simon, thank you for the comments. Until yesterday I didn´t have any idea about sterilisers (spelling?) one can put into the microwave oven. I must also confess that I don´t like them (the microwaves). I´ve written some thoughts about sterilisers in the parents and children conversation. I mean, every parent should decide if he wants to use something or not. My list is not the ultimative truth, I just have written some ideas down which I think can help future parents to get an overview of the things for babies. There are also some differencies between German market for baby things and the UK one.

The changing units can be dangerous indeed, but I think that all normal parents take the greatest care while changing their baby. Both of our children didn´t fall down from the changing unit. smiley - smiley But they did fall from our bed. Fortunately there´s a university hospital in our neighbourhood. smiley - biggrin

You have written: The best way to save water is for the whole family to get in at the same time

That´s right, but I was advised not to take a bath together with my daughter as women often have different fungus infections in the genitals.

Balkony - that´s German! Usually I am writing at night and my brains confuse all the languages they have. I hope our children will not have any problems in 'jumping' between the languages (Russian (me), Portuguese (Hell) and German (lingua franca)).

Good night and kisses to your little smiley - angel

Anna Banana (Manana says our daughter)

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Baby's Stuff: What you need and what you don't.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more