A Conversation for Why Villains in Movies Have English Accents

Other reasons

Post 1

Earthman

I'd rather suspected the major reason for often having an English accent as the bad guy is that Hollywood is more likely to require the bad guy to actually be able to act rather than just stand there looking pretty or muscular, or both, which is often enough to be a good guy. Hence when you get Americans who can act (Kevin Spacey, John Malkovich, Gary Sinise), they do play bad guys.

Other reasons

Post 2

il viaggiatore

The "brits are better actors, so that's why they play baddies" reason came up several times in peer review, and on the original entry. I've decided that this is blanket statement is a matter of taste so I decided to leave it out.

Other reasons

Post 3

Who?

Or is it that American actors won't play bad guys because their career suffers, while British actors just don't have that problem? (I realise that this may be better in the past tense but...)

Other reasons

Post 4

il viaggiatore

I think thats a better explanation, but that was more of an issue in the past.

Other reasons

Post 5

Earthman

OK, perhaps I'll elaborate/rephrase/whatever. Stage actors definitely have to be able to act to do well, being pretty isn't that important (you're on the other side of a big room, rather than projected onto a screen with a 22 foot wide head). So a theatrical actor must not only be able to act, but to project their character across a large room with nothing but their talent to help them. Hence, you get all these actors with a stage background from Britain (National Theatre, Royal Shakespeare Company, etc) playing bad guys, along with the likes of Chicago's Steppenwolf theatre alumni (Gary Sinise, John Malkovich), and other actors who spent several years on the stage before becoming film actors (Kevin Spacey, Glenn Close) who also play 'evil' very well.

Other reasons

Post 6

FordsTowel

Actually, if that these statements were as "always" true, as the are written, how can we explain Gene Simmons of KISS being an evil genius?

Please check out my little note on Anglic-sensitivity.

Other reasons

Post 7

Ryogasoul

Another reason is that people who learn English often learn British English. Since foreigners are often villified, the villian can often sound like they have a British accent.

Not only American movies have the villian of the piece come from a country other than the heroes.Look around.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more