This is the Message Centre for Hannah-Music

Music.

Post 1

Hannah-Music

I will write boring posts now..

About how much i adore mum music like Simon and Garfunkel..

Oh how i love Simon and Garfunkel with their beautiful harmonies and soothing guitar playing. The strings in the background and the great lyrics.

Somehow, it just works and i can listen to them over and over and over again. But its a secret addiction - until now - because they do not class and excessivly 'cool' in this modern day. I just heard they came for a tour.. Disappointed i missed it smiley - smiley Though, i dont like to see a band i love and be disappointed - if they were to end up being poor live.. which im sure they wouldnt be.. because they are excellent smiley - smiley

Music.

Post 2

Reality Manipulator

Hannah I rember when Simon and Garfunkel first produced their music and I think my have had one of their LP's or either in on a compilation of various artists. They have an unique sound and there has not been any other atrists that have produced music in they have done.smiley - smiley

Music.

Post 3

Yvonne aka india

Love their music, especially the harmonies. We're looking for songs that our singing group can perform, and Simon & Garfunkel often come up as possibles.

The album Bridge over Troubled Waters is the one I've had longest: only recently had to replace it to CD because the tape was wearing out due to age. Favourite song on it, The Boxer, really powerful piece.

Music.

Post 4

spartacus777

Great live! One of the few concerts I have been to but it was good.(You wouldn't be disappointed I don't think.)

Music.

Post 5

Hannah-Music

when did you see them?? smiley - smiley and i would have loved to have seen them when they came out..
right now, im classing my favourite concerts as:

a latin, world band called Marsala
Ben Folds
and Fall Out Boy.

Music.

Post 6

spartacus777

Aaaah...sorry...a bit slow. When did I see them, Simon and Garfunkel...A long time ago. Early 80s. Probably 81. It was a long time after they had stopped playing together originally but they did a world tour reunion series of concerts. By that stage, if I have it right (or if the gossip of the day was right), they pretty well barely tolerated each other. They arrived on stage at the stadium in separate gold Roll Royces (not preferring each other's company even on the way to the gig). For all that, their music was sublime.

For one song, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Paul Simon sang and played the first two verses solo. It was known from previous shows on the tour that Garfunkel would sometimes come out to harmonise for the 3rd verse and then take the last chorus, and sometime wouldn't.

Whether the lead up to all this was rumour or fact, I don't know, but it was a great piece of theatre. You could feel the expectation and anticipation right across the stadium as the song built up and moved through the first and then the second verses.

For our show, he did come out - strolling onto the stage at the right moment and then singing. The crowd went into raptures. It was quite spell-binding. As I say, a great piece of theatre.

If you want to explore the two 'different' versions of the song Google "Bridge over troubled water" and under videos select the 1st and the 4th one.

The 4th one (from dailymotion.com) doesn't stream properly, which is a pain - perhaps it will be better for you. Also, many of the bridges are over distinctly calm waters but I suppose we can't quibble.

Another thing I found while hunting is that there are some quite hideous versions of the song running around including a ridiculously over-sentimentalised version from S & G themselves.

Have fun listening.

Music.

Post 7

Hannah-Music

wow, didnt know it was so intense :/ still, would have been amazing to see them live smiley - smiley

unfortunately, bridge over troubled water is my LEAST favourite of all their hit songs probably becuase its so overplayed.. i think they have better songs smiley - smiley my new favourite is at the zoo - previous was wednesday morning, 3am and hazy shade of winter..

like hte 1st version - its pretty flawless for a live performace - shame more modern singers are actually this good live like their recordings.. smiley - sadface have to say - bon jovi doesnt kill the song which is nice to see smiley - smiley

ta for writing.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hannah-Music

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more