This is the Message Centre for AlsoRan80

No-one believes how old I am.....Brrrr

Post 1

AlsoRan80

Hi, I have just had to sign in a second time and this time had to give my date of birth.

I am proud of my age and not asahmed of it. I am working hard to repair the damage done by the strokes and believe that the wonderful exercises which I found on this website and practice every day have done a lot to help me.

But will anyone believe me.?

shame on you all you beautiful young creatures. You are all going to live to be over a hundred due to the wonderful advances made in the medical world. But very few of them believe it either.

So now I am going off to have my light supper and enjoy TV. And think of all the wondeful friends which I have made on this site of Douglas Noel Adams Someone has nicked the record which i had of him reading the Hitchikers guide. I am nearly very upset about it.

with all good wishes,

Christiane
AlsoRan80
Friday 29th July 2011 19.15 BST

Do I have to sign out every time or just sign off? smiley - run

Post 2

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

*giggles*

Just sign off as normal smiley - smiley

Enjoy your supper and evening's viewing smiley - ok

lil xx

Post 3

Websailor

Lovely to see you here again Christiane. You know we all think you are wonderful smiley - smiley

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm always glad to hear from you, Christiane. smiley - hug

Some day, they won't believe how old I am, either. I look at my father, who is 91, and who still mows the lawn and drives (not at the same time, of course smiley - winkeye).

Living to be 100 could be okay, or it could be a miserable proposition. I had an aunt who apparently got rattled at her daughter's 75th birthday party. I don't think she ever planned on living to be 98.

There seem to be two secrets to longevity:

The first was discovered by George Burns: have something to look forward to. He booked London's Palladium for a show on hbis 100th birthday. He had to cancel, as he had the flu, but he was still alive.

The second is that you should not act your age. Each of us is unique. Having to act a certain way because other people of your age act a certain way seems odd to me. This gets back to my father: he still does a lot of things he has been doing for decades. There is just no reason for him to stop. And even if he couldn't do these things, there are probably lots of other things he can still do.

Post 5

AlsoRan80

Well thanks my very dear websailor - the only smiley - dragon I know who greets me. !!

hope that I shall not have to sign again tomorrow. I shall take your advise as frenchbean is obviousl in the land of Nod now. !!

go well my dear friend I wish you could see my verandah garden., I has been beautiful.

sleep well,

christiane
AlsoRan80
Friday 29th July, 2911 19.55 BST

Post 6

Websailor

You too. I wish I could see it too.

Post 7

Reality Manipulator

Hello Christianesmiley - hug

Wonderful to hear from you and I hope that you'll have a lovely light supper, I am going to do the same thing with a stir fried vegetables and rice and a cup of tea smiley - tea.

I hope that you will be able to get back the record of Douglas Noel Adams reading the Hitchikers Guide.

Warmest wishes and regards,
Katrine

Post 8

AlsoRan80

Hi paulh

Wonderful to hear from you. However I managed to lose my reply to you so will write tomorrow.

go well,

Christiane
AlsoRan80
friday 29thJuly 2011 2020 BST

Post 9

AlsoRan80

Very dear Katrine,

I have so often thought of you. thanks for your welcome.
I shall write tomorrow.

Christiane
AlsoRan80
Friday 28th July 2011 20 19 BST

Post 10

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

One of my great-grandfathers lived till he was 93. He told me his secret to old age was to take three deep breaths every morning for about 90 years or so smiley - winkeye

I never sign out or off, Christiane. I only set my computer on standby and occasionally restart it, but I am always signed/logged in to H2G2

Only exception is when I clean my computer (once every fortnight or so). After that I have to sign in again, of course.

smiley - pirate

Post 11

Smudger879n

Hi Christine, good to hear from you again. I remember taking an old lady home from hospital, and she was telling that she was glad to be going home so that she could after her Elderly sister.

She was telling me how she spends a lot of her time looking after the Old folk....when I asked how old her sister was, she said.. "my sister is 99 and I am 103" smiley - biggrinsmiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 12

Well, then, she's probably good at looking after her sister, after so many years of practice. smiley - smiley

Post 13

Reality Manipulator

smiley - cheerssmiley - taChristianesmiley - smiley

I hope you are having a good day and that the weather is not too hot were you are.smiley - hug

I also get similar reaction when I tell people my age as the don't believe me.smiley - smiley

I have heard that in many decades time we'll living until 135 or more.smiley - yikes

I also don't believe in acting my age of 48 (it only seems yesterday when I was 16) and I try and behave as I did when I was a teenager.

Katrinesmiley - zensmiley - teasmiley - cake

Post 14

Living to be 135 or more? Will this still be a world where large numbers of children in the Third World don't survive long enough to celebrate their 5th birthdays? smiley - sadface

Here's an alternative scenario: the number of diseases that are resistant to all known antibiotics gets large enough that once again the Biblical three-score and ten (70) becomes a remarkably long lifespan, one that most young people would be happy to aspire to attaining.

I will tell you right now that I do *not* wish to live to be 135. Even 100 looks pretty grim.

Post 15

Websailor

Same here, even with good health it is not an appealing prospect.

Post 16

I don't expect to live much beyond my early 80s. After that, all bets are off. I thought there was a chance that my father could hit 88 or 90 (which he did), but my mother was a surprise owing to her fragility. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. She's never had an ounce of extra weight on her. Thin women blow everybody else away in terms of longevity.

Post 17

Glad to hear from you, Christiane.

smiley - smiley
Happy Nerd

Post 18

coelacanth

Does anyone have any news of Also Ran? Most recently posting as AlsoRan83 U14993112 It's her 85th birthday next Friday, 23rd May, so it would be nice to get a message to her somehow.
smiley - bluefish

Post 19

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I haven't heard from her in ages. Not sure I've heard from her since we left the BBC, actually.

We should probably ask the italics

smiley - pirate

Post 20

coelacanth

We have heard from her since. The new site launched October 2011 and she last posted as AlsoRan83 in April 2013.
smiley - bluefish

Key: Complain about this post