Post 1

Lateral Blinking

Entry: Gonzo Journalism - A860087
Author: Lateral Blinking - U199353

My homage to a great man...

A860087 - Gonzo Journalism

Post 2

egon

I think this is very good as a book review on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but an entry on Gonzo Journalism should probably include more on the dominant features of the genre, HST himself, and books where he takes his Gonzo approach to serious subjects (eg Fear and Loathing on the Campaign trail or hell's angels).

As it is, all this entry really is is an evaluation of that one book. So if I were you, I'd probably either re-title it "'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' by Hunter S Thompson" or flesh it out with more detail.

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Agreed.

Post 4

egon

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who'd read this...

Post 5

Lateral Blinking

Perfectly reasonable point, I guess. It's so hard to maintain objectivity when you're touching history. Title to be amended.

Post 6

egon

I must say i quite like this entry, but then being a big Thompson fan I would. However, do you think it'd be possible to go into more depth? perhaps a brief summary of the plotline (such as it is), for example? I should point out that, not being a scout or anything, I'm not exactly best qualified to tell you whether this is for the edited guide or not, but it seems to me to be a pretty accurate summing up of the mood of the book.

Post 7

egon

You may also want to link to this entry on HST himself: A246386

Post 8

Lateral Blinking

No idea how to link to the other entries, unfortunately.

I only had time to get my top-line thoughts about FAL down, but as this seems to have had a reasonably positive reception I'll take some more time and try to do something more in-depth. Not sure about a plot-line, Egon - is there one to speak of? - but can certainly do a brief treatment of key moments: Lucy, the adrenochrome episode, the Mint 500, the Satanism story at the bar (for some reason, my favourite part) etc. Give me a few days smiley - winkeye

Post 9

egon

Well, that's why i said "such as it is". smiley - smiley well, you could explain about the racing in the desert, the drug conference, etc. What did you think of the film version?

Do you know how to use GuideML?

Post 10

Lateral Blinking

Not the faintest. I never get the chance to spend much time on here: usually I compose my entries in Notepad and only come on the site to post and have a quick look through Peer Review.

Extended Thompson listing incoming, watch this space.

Post 11

Spiff

Hi Lateral, smiley - smiley

i agree with the others here that a)this is a good review of F&L, and b) that the title needs to reflect the content better. smiley - smiley

maybe you already changed it... i didn't notice.

Anyway, i like it, smiley - ok. I'm not quite sure it's 'finished' yet, but great as it stands.

if you add Hunter S Thompson Instead of the first time you name the author, i think that should make your link come out ok. Preview to make sure it has worked, smiley - smiley

if not, don't worry, the sub-ed will *probably* do that for you. smiley - smiley

cya
spiff

Post 12

il viaggiatore

Maybe adding some GuideML would help it look more finished and attract the eye of a scout.

Post 13

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I've had a look at this, and I find myself somewhat lost. Is it just me?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 14

Lateral Blinking

Zarquon... it helps if you'd read the book.

Post 15

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Well, maybe, but the point of Edited Guide entries is to explain things to people who haven't read all the books. smiley - winkeye

smiley - mouse

Post 16

Friar

Actually, the book is pretty incomprehensible. I loved it. It's a bit like Finnegan's wake some ways.

It's impossible to describe but very possible to summarize, or convey the feeling of it.

I like this entry.

I even like that it's short.

Lateral, are you still working on this? Are there other opinions about improvements?

Friar

Post 17

Lateral Blinking

To be honest I haven't had time to come back to H2G2 for ages as i've been trying to get other web presences up and running... for those that are interested in Chelsea Football CLub, check out some lateral-related nonsense at http://chelsea.openfootball.co.uk/index.asp under my alter ego, Rob Hobson.

If ppl still have strong feelings about tweaking this, sitck 'em on here and I'll give it another once-over in a couple weeks.

smiley - winkeye

Post 18

DoctorGonzo

An article on 'New Journalism' might be easier than concentrating solely on 'Gonzo Journalism'. The two terms are almost synonymous, although GJ seems to be a little more liberal regarding the inclusion of downright fiction.... smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Lateral Blinking

Well, as a matter of fact it was pointed out to me that the piece I'd written was more a brief look at FALILV than a snapshot of Gonzo Journalism itself. After all, Thompson was the first but by no means the last of those hacks who got (and still get) out there to "cover the story".

As regards GJ itself, I'm not sure one could come up with something succinct enough for H2G2. It's a hell of a legacy to get into and I wouldn't want to do a cock-eyed job. Fancy a go, Dr G?

Post 20

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hmmmm.... This one will be FM eligible come Saturday....

smiley - mouse

Key: Complain about this post