- Project Name: Sailing Ships
- Field Researcher: stragbasher
- Department: see below
- Faculty: below
- Start Date: 10 June 2001
- End Date: 21st July 2001/ 16 October 2001 (see below)
- Assisting Sub-Editor: tbd
Pages currently in progress (proposed):
- Sailing Ships
- A potted history of Sailing Ships
- A typical tall ship - The Star of India - tbc
- Sailing Ship Terminology
- An introduction to how tall ships are sailed - tbc
- First hand account of a voyage aboard a 19th century tall ship
All researchers with something to contribute or an interest in the subject are invited to get involved.
Further Information Required
I am currently undergoing crew training to sail a 277' ship built in 1863. The ship will be putting to sea twice in October of 2001 from San Diego, USA and is viewed by it's custodians as an unbroken link with the traditions of the 19th century. Instructors on board the ship were taught (in part) by people who sailed similar vessels during the reign of Queen Victoria.
A series of articles preserving this knowledge, and sharing the experience with the world at large would be a suitable project for the university. If anyone has related experience, or simply wants to read up and pull together a background article to be included, then that would be great. Suggestions as to the best department/faculty for this project are also welcome.