A Conversation for The Young Researchers' Club

YRC: Music

Post 61

Dr. Megabite

So far:

1: Rock: _______________ 77%(I think)
2: 2. Pop: 0%
3. Punk 0%
4. Rock pop 0&
5. Pop rock 0%
6. Dance 0%
7. chesey pop 0%
8. other music _______ 33%


YRC: Music

Post 62

Dr. Megabite

1: Rock: ___________ 66% (sorry)


YRC: Music

Post 63

Orange A (formerly known as DunlopVolley)

I gotta say 1.Rock and 2. Pop.

But my philosophy is good music is good music, no matter what genre or artist.


YRC: Music

Post 64

Birds_of_Fire

I don't really have a preference. I listen to ALOT of different music.

Does anybody here listen to these bands?

The Beatles- Everyone knows who they are. Eleanor Rigby is a song that even my lame hardcore ear-splitting heavy metal friends enjoy. That's saying alot.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra- They were sort of a Jazz-Rock band. I challenge you to find any musician old or new that is half as good as John McLaughlin was on the guitar. Billy Cobham is also the best drummer ever. Songs you should download- "One Word", "Celestial Terrestrial Commuters", and "Miles Beyond".

Orphaned Land- They're not for everyone. They are a middle eastern metal band from Israel. Their newest album "Mabool" was a master piece. If you buy the cd, it provides translations for the music, but it's mainly in English anyway. At first the music just wierded me out, but once I got used to it, I really enjoyed it.

Miles Davis- You know, the jazz guy. Anything from "Kind of Blue" is good.

Flogging Molly- They are an Irish-punk band. If you're in to accordians fiddles, tin wistles, mandolins, banjos, and trumpets along with your good old guitar, bass, and drums, than this is the band for you.

Avenue Q- The most hilarious musical ever created by man. Songs you should download-"If You Were Gay", "My Girlfriend, Who Lives in Canada", "The Internet is for Porn", "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist", and "Schadenfreude". If you like 'em alot, you can just buy the cd. note: these songs might include...*checks cd label*...strong language or sexual content.

This is taking awhile so I'll just name a few more.

The Smiths
Radiohead
Pink Floyd
The Who
David Bowie
Iron Maiden
System of a Down


YRC: Music

Post 65

echomikeromeo

You have excellent taste, BoF!

Pink Floyd = best band ever. Except mine, of course.smiley - winkeye

Iron Maiden = excellent. Ditto Flogging Molly. And I like David Bowie too.

And thanks for reminding me that I meant to download Avenue Q.

What do you think of 70s protest music? You know, Bob Dylan, that sort of thing? Kind of lame, I know, but I'm a slave to Vietnam War protest songs.


YRC: Music

Post 66

Birds_of_Fire

Oh, my band is much better than yours. We may not have an electric violen, but our bassist more than makes up for it. *cough*me*cough* And I bet our name is cooler. We're "The Sexy Pirates". We used to be "The Sexy Pirates and the Fat Kid", but Jake quit so the name didn't quite make as much sense. smiley - biggrin

Bob Dylan...I've heard OF him, but I've never heard him. What genre of music does he do and is he any good?


YRC: Music

Post 67

echomikeromeo

You've *never* heard of Bob Dylan?!smiley - yikes

Started out basic, mainstream folk, but then famously went electric at the Newport Folk Festival in (I think) 1968. Famous for such songs as "Blowin' in the Wind", "The Times They Are A-Changin'", "Like a Rolling Stone" (whence came the band's name, I think), "Lay Lady Lay", "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right", "Mr Tambourine Man" (later made into a hit by The Byrds) ... the list goes on. Dylan was a brilliant songwriter but not such a great singer - needless to say, his songs are best sung by other people. I recommend the Peter, Paul and Mary version of "Times They are a-Changin'" particularly. Good stuff.

Okay, yeah, our bassist is a little weird. He doesn't really say stuff and he *still* doesn't have our first song down.smiley - rolleyes The guitarists are cool, though, and we have a tambourine girl. Do you have a tambourine girl? We don't exactly have a name yet, though.


YRC: Music

Post 68

Birds_of_Fire

I have a sucky computer with dial-up so it takes about 4 hours download one song, so I usually just buy the cds. Highway 61 Revisited can be next on my list. It got an average of 4.8 on sputnikmusic.com. It has "Like a Rolling Stone" on it.

I wish we had a tambourine girl!
I wish we had a girl, period.
We need a catch.
First we had Jake, the fat kid.
But now we don't have anything.
We just have three guys on the bass, guitar, and drums.
This isn't meant to be a poem.
I just felt like putting it in poem form.

Oh, you could be "The Dental Health Secret Agents"! Admit it, that's an awesome name for a band!


YRC: Music

Post 69

Wyatt

Coincidentally, I was in New York last week and saw Avenue Q. It was alright, but Spamalot was 70,000 times better. I bought the soundtrack to Spamalot and I really really like it.


YRC: Music

Post 70

Birds_of_Fire

What's it like?


YRC: Music

Post 71

Wyatt

What's what like?


YRC: Music

Post 72

Birds_of_Fire

Spamalot. The music, plot, etc.


YRC: Music

Post 73

echomikeromeo

It's the musical version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Music by Eric Idle and John du Prez. I have the soundtrack - it's really good.


YRC: Music

Post 74

Wyatt

England, 932 AD. A Kingdom divided! To the West, the Anglo Saxons. To the South, the French. Above, nothing but Celts, and some people from Scotland!

It's pretty much the greatest thing ever. Though I was disapointed that it didn't have the witch trial part...But it was hilarious. smiley - ok

In the kingdoms of Essex, Wessex, Sussex and Kent-Plague. In Mercia and the two Anglias-Plague with a 50% chance of famine and pestilence coming in from the Northeast at twelve MPH.


YRC: Music

Post 75

Wyatt

Ok, I am now working on an Entry for Spamalot - A11474534


YRC: Music

Post 76

Lil'_Bojangles

HI! errm it's been quite a while since i last posted but I really just wanted to find out what you guys think about the recent band 'Panic! At the disco' Personally I only like one of their songs
'I write sins not tragedies' but most of my friends seem to worship their every song.smiley - erm
smiley - yikes
Almost forgot does anyone like 'The Smiths' the old 80's band with Morrisey in it?


YRC: Music

Post 77

echomikeromeo

Everyone I know seems to like P!atD, but I dunno ... I think they're a bit mainstream. It's the whole Myspace music culture at work, really.


YRC: Music

Post 78

Orange A (formerly known as DunlopVolley)

Hey, MySpace can be pretty cool for finding music. Check out, for example, www.myspace.com/el_may .


YRC: Music

Post 79

echomikeromeo

Eh, I don't mean to diss MySpace - I certainly spend enough time lurking there! Just an example, really.


Key: Complain about this post