Lactose Intolerance

0 Conversations

Lactose Intolerance is when someone's stomach fails to produce an enzyme called lactase, either at all, or in enough quantities. Lactase is the enzyme that breaks down Lactose (the milk sugar) into glucose, for respiration (glucose + oxygen = Carbon Dioxide + Water and Energy). Lactose intolerance can be seen by Non-Lactose-Intolerance-Sufferers as being very irritating, or even unpleasant. However, speaking as a sufferer (or even a benefitor) of Lactose intolerance from 2 I can state that having not had any dairy products I do not know what I am missing (obviously) and am used to not being given sweets when students bring them to school for their birthdays (they are always chocolates) or Ice Cream, Pizza, or even the dreaded B-word (butter). However, when I went to birthday parties my mother would make the cake with soya margarine, so I could enjoy it.

Soya milk is an alternative to any animal milk (all milks, even human milk, contain lactose) and often has added vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates, not just for sufferers of lactose intolerance. I personally call it "Lactase Deficiency".

Many capsules are available in health stores that contain lactase for people who have Lactose Intolerance. One of these is called "Prolactazyme Forte". Also, one philosophy I know of says that people with difficulties (Allergies etc.) are better at something else as they are used to struggling.

Finally, if lactose is introduced to the system of a sufferer of lactose intolerance, much comes out of both ends rather quickly.

Never confuse Lactose intolerance with a Milk Allergy, as they are totally different.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A978627

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more