The Finn Brothers: Everyone Is Here: The Album (2005)

0 Conversations


After the release of One Nil, the distinctive sound of NZ acoustic rock seemed to fade from the radio a little: but not any more. Neil Finn is back. The latest collaboration from him and brother, Tim, Everyone is Here, proves that both are still formidable songwriters.

While unmistakeably Finn, this album is still different to anything the brothers wrote with Crowded House, having a much more homely, laid-back feel. Tracks such as Disembodied Voices, and Nothing Wrong With You are more reflective than previous material. But, Neil and Tim prove they can still rock with the best of them: Anything Can Happen and Part Of Me, Part Of You, will have you strumming away on your air guitar in no time.

There are also some surprises in store. Homesick and Gentle Hum are in a similar vein to Neil's solo work, with the former track having a very noticeable nod to Sheryl Crow, one of Neil's collaborators on One Nil. Despite the subdued title, the song is musical sunshine, and scarily catchy, whilst Gentle Hum sounds as if it would be a good choice as an audience sing-along number at a live gig. It is surprising then, that it did not feature heavily on the set list on their recent tour.

However, the tour was conducted in difficult circumstances. After the sad news that Paul Hester, the former drummer with Crowded House, had committed suicide, it was only right that any extra space on the set list was given to some Crowded House numbers as a tribute to Paul.

In fact, the only track on the album that is perhaps a reminder of Crowded House is All God's Children, which has a distinct Woodface vibe to it, akin to maybe Fame Is or Tall Tree.Edible Flowers on the other hand, seems to sum up the Finns' new perspective: Simultaneously uplifting and sad at the same time, the lyrics are thoughtful and wise.

If you have not heard any of Neil Finn's work before, this is an excellent album to start with. It is a must for any old Crowded House fans, and followers of Neil and Tim who are keen to know what they are up to now.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A9735771

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more