Bad Time to be having a bad time - How painful periods affect your life

0 Conversations

WORK IN PROGRESS

Period Pains, or Dysmenorrhoea, can be a blight on your life, especially if you suffer from PMS. The two are sometimes confused, but are actually two distinct afflictions. PMS is a syndrome, the symptoms of which can include hormone imbalance, water retention and irritability.

Period Pains, on the other hand, are the physical discomfort produced by menstruating. When the lining of the womb is expelled, the uterus contracts to force it out. Many women experience mild discomfort during this process, but for some it can be a crippling experience which lasts several days.

The cramps can be so severe that nausea occurs and sometimes vomiting can be induced by the cramps. Headache is also a known factor.

Doctors are known to be particularly unsympathetic to this complaint, giving pain relief grudgingly, with some doctors and researchers believing that this complaint can be treated by trying to convince the patient that she is 'not sick'. When medication is given, it tends towards pain relief and not pain prevention. there are drugs which relieve period pain by causing the cramps to lessen, but doctors prefer to use strong 'traditional' pain relief which numb the nerve endings. Unfortunately these can also interfere with the ability to drive, operate machinery and generally have a life.

** To be concluded/updated **

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A972605

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more