A Conversation for Suitability of Content on h2g2

Health

Post 1

Potholer

Is it possible to clarify what comes under the 'Posing a risk to health' category?
I assume topics like cycling in London would be OK, whereas a DIY guide to base jumping would be a no-no, but there's a huge grey area somewhere in the middle.
If describing (but not actively promoting) an activity with the *chance* of some minor or moderate injury, but which a sensible person would be very unlucky to be harmed by, roughly what kind of intelligence and maturity of reader are we to assume, and would disclaimers (don't do this without supervision/traning) make much difference?

Trying to illustrate with a borderline case, if I wrote an article on digging in caves, and within that article I described the relatively safe technique of Hilti-capping (splitting boulders or removing bedrock by sticking a small blank cartridge in a drilled hole, and setting it off manually with a metal rod and lumphammer), would that automatically be a no-no, or would it depend on the context and warnings given.
Whilst I'm sure the HSE wouldn't approve of the Hilti technique, I doubt they'd be entirely happy with other cave digging issues either (climbing around in unstable boulder chokes, moving large rocks with crowbars, etc.)
Would the fact that the technique involves tiny amounts of 'chemical persuasion' make it more likely to be censored over and above any
actual risks of the procedure itself?

Some examples of acceptable, borderline and unacceptable topics and contexts could be useful as guidelines.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more