Memphis, Tennessee

3 Conversations

Memphis, TN is either a small city or a large town, depending on your perspective. Located on a bluff above the Mississippi River, Memphis has long been a city that has fought to overcome adversity to make a place for itself in the world.

Memphis: the Founding Years

In 1819 it was three land speculators, John Overton, James Winchester, and Andrew Jackson, the future President of the United States, who founded the city. They decided on the name Memphis because of its proximity to the mighty Mississippi, which mimicked the proximity of the ancient capital of Egypt, Memphis, and the Nile River.

By 1849 Memphis had grown into a leading distribution center. The combination of the Charleston Railroad and the Naval yard on the Mississippi made Memphis an important center for the trade of furs and Cotton. Memphis was the 6th largest city in the U.S.

The Civil War was not as difficult for Memphis as it was for other comparable cities of the time such as Vicksburg or Atlanta. A relatively quick battle was lost by the Confederacy and Memphis came under the control of the Union. Soon the south side of town became a refuge for the escaped or freed slaves and Memphis' minority population soared from 4,000 to 15,000 people during the war. Many of these freed slaves stayed and attracted more former slaves after the war as the city continued its growth. Located on and around the Beale Street district, the African-American population brought to Memphis the sounds of the fields, signing the songs of slaves. This music became known to the world as the Blues and Memphis was considered its birthplace.

In the 1870's Memphis was stricken with Yellow fever epidemics not once but twice. Over 5,000 people died from the epidemic and another 25,000 people fled the city never to return.

Memphis: The Near Past

After a relatively quiet turn of the century, Memphis rebuilt from the depression and began to move forward. By the mid 1940's Memphis rivaled cities such as St. Louis and Atlanta in size and commerce. Sam Phillips had moved to Memphis and opened up a little recording studio named Sun Records. He recorded such great blues and country stars as Ike Turner, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison. However, it was a young man named Elvis Pressley that changed Memphis. 1n 1954 Elvis first recorded a song at Sun Records. The rest is music history.

Memphis couldn't break away from tragedy and in 1968, as Memphis was growing and moving forward, Martin Luther King, Jr. came to Memphis to assist the sanitation workers who were on strike. He was shot and killed on the balcony of the Lorraine hotel (now the site of the National Civil Rights Museum). The subsequent race problems plagued the Memphis community.

Memphis Today:

Memphis is trying to shed it's small city image with a step into the major limelight. NBA basketball has arrived in Memphis. While the team is not very good they have made a number of smart business decisions and their future is promising.

Memphis also now has 2 big time tourists areas. Beale Street is now a beautiful area that includes not only a great many Blues clubs but also the Gibson Guitar plant and National Civil Rights Museum are within easy walking distance. Elvis Presley's Graceland mansion is also located in Memphis and is a major tourist attraction.

Another area of interest is the FedEx hub where every package shipped by FedEx is sorted and resent out the same night. The organization and speed is fascinating.

Driving in Memphis is not enjoyable. The residents seem to believe that turn signals are for Yankees or wimps. Either way they don't get used very often. It is not surprising that AutoZone, a Do-It-Yourself Discount Auto Parts store, was founded in Memphis. The need to repair your own car takes on more relevance when the frequency of accidents is so high.

The city does not have an expressway through town. This is both a blessing and a curse. There is no convenient way to get to a large part of the city. However, you don't have expressway noise thru most residential areas. It is a trade off most Memphians have accepted. Every now and then there is a discussion of continuing I-40 thru the middle of town but it hasn't had a chance of passing in many years.

The social scene has really been picking up pace of late. New restaurants have been popping up all over town. While Memphis is still world reknown for their dry rack BBQ ribs. While the incrediants are closely guarded, the basic principle is to rub the seasoning on the ribs before cooking and to allow the natural juices from the ribs baste in the spices. They are very delicious and not messy like most BBQ ribs. However, continental and european style restaurants are making inroads to the city's palate.

The night life is varied and interesting. The NBA's Memphis Grizzlies is the newest game in town, but not the only game. Their is also a AAA baseball team (the Redbirds) and a major college sports program (the University of Memphis). Memphis is also about to have their 2nd major boxing match when Mike Tyson fights Clifford Ettienne. The combination of programs makes Memphis a year round sports destination.

Downtown has become the best location for assorted night life. Beale Street, Peabody Place, Redbirds Stadium and the Pyramid all offer exciting evening destinations. Soon the new arena will be completed one block from the heart of Beale Street and this will just add to the exciting area. Other areas of interest include Overton Square and the Highland Strip (for the college scene). Even East Memphis is starting to get into the swing of things as many exciting new restaurants are opening.

Just 30 minutes from Memphis is Tunica, Mississippi. Tunica is a great location for the gambling crowd. The Casinos dot the river coast and provides the casual gambler an exciting choice of locales to have fun.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A963155

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more