A Conversation for Wheelbarrows

Peer Review: A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 1

Trout Montague

Entry: Wheelbarrow - A948279
Author: Dr Montague Trout - U188966

Old Entry: A817698
Old Peer review Thread: F97724?thread=216030
Flea Market Thread: F74125?thread=242889
New Entry: A948279
New Entry WW Thread: F57153?thread=244355


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Good entry! smiley - ok

I think the title should be plural: "Wheelbarrows". That's the way most entries seem to be here.

Are you sure about "elongate handles"? I would say "elongated", but since you are quoting, you will have to quote exactly.

"further lifting of the front handles" - I think the word front slipped in here by accident.

"Necessity is the Mother of Invention" - not particularly relevant at this point, so if you could replace it with a quotation about donkeys and wheelbarrows, there would be a pleasant resonance with the phrase "donkey's years" in the next sentence.

B.C. and A.D. - use BC and AD

Ancient (1st Century) - I think that should be (1st Century BC)

Put a comma after leylandii

legs akimbo - this phrase does exist but indicates that the knees are "set in a bent position". You should use "legs apart".


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 3

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

I think maybe a small clarification of what happens when you place the load in front of the axle would be in order.
-You don't have to lift the bars at all, but the barrow becomes harder to control.
Also a little more about why the bumper bar is necessary.
-Which is related to the first point. Without it the barrow will turn on the axle and roll backwards when the handlebars get far enough out of the horizontal.

Also the warning against playing human wheelbarrow seems a bit too much.


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 4

Trout Montague

Agreed, I shall write a short paragraph on the dangers of creating a cantilever affair.

Regarding the warning, I hold that if it stops just one kiddy from breaking his/her back, then it's done its job. I shall not be removing it.

DMT


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 5

sprout

I love the history bit in this.

On the section on wheelbarrow versus handcart, you could add that the one wheel enables builders to wheel them up unfeasibly steep and slippery planks in order to dump their contents into a skip. I'm always impressed by the angles that they manage to overcome with a wheelbarrow full of bricks and stuff.

On the human wheelbarrow, I think two warning bits is too much. Are there really regular accidents through this? At our school sports day we had wheelbarrow races and (warning - pappyism) 'it never did us any harm'.

Is it any more dangerous than crossing a road, playing football, doing handstands or anything else that our kids do and need to keep doing if we don't want them to become obese?

Sprout


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 6

Trout Montague

Thanks, noted, updated and duly credited.

The warning stays. If there is consensus, the Sub-Ed will remove any surplus.

DMT


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 7

caper_plip

Hi there!

This is much better than the original... but I notice that I'm in the list as a credited Researcher...smiley - huh

I think I'll remove my name from there because as far as I remember I only told the original Researcher that it wasn't suitable for PR...smiley - biggrin

Caper Plipsmiley - artist


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 8

Trout Montague

Suit yourself. Nice to have some interest here at all ...

DMT


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 9

Trout Montague

For record, 'elongate' is a valid adjective.


A948279 - Wheelbarrow

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I knew that, but I'd never use it myself.smiley - ok


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Congratulations! smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

sprout

Phew! This one finally trundled off up the plank...

Sprout


Key: Complain about this post