A Conversation for Ghana, West Africa

A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 21

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa - for ease of loading the entry.

This is brilliant, Wilmasmiley - okand so are you for reducing those footnotes without a protest or a whimpersmiley - applause


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 22

Wilma Neanderthal

Why thank you, ma'am!

*doff cap*

There are still a couple of footnotes there that I can't see how to eliminate but the others were really not necessary and EMR was absolutely right in calling me up on them.

smiley - ok

W


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 23

AlexAshman


Good stuff smiley - ok- just one point:

"began a series of 'house cleaning' operations that resulted in the sentencing and execution of several senior officers and former heads of state" - is that bit meant to be entirely in italics, and if so what is the source?

Alex smiley - smiley


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 24

Wilma Neanderthal

Hi Alex
The source is in the link for 'house cleaning'. I wasn't sure where to put the link. Suggestions? please?
smiley - ta
W


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 25

Wilma Neanderthal

OK, I have done a bit of switching. I was not happy with the headers/subheaders the way they were so I have moved things around and fleshed it out a bit so hopefully it flows better.

I have decided against expanding on various items in here as I think they need to be explored separately to do them justice. Adinkra and kente, juju and the various cities and nature reserves for a start... Then you have the different tribes, their development and impact on the world. Of particular interest to me here is the Ashanti story and the Legend of the Golden Stool. I have left all these out in the hope that this spins off at some point.

I hope that is acceptable.

W


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 26

AlexAshman


smiley - ok I'm not sure where the link should go though smiley - erm


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 27

Wilma Neanderthal

smiley - rofl How's about we leave it be while I muster the energy (and time) to do a rewrite...
smiley - ok
W


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 28

aka Bel - A87832164

Hi Wilma, just read this again, and was again fascinated from start to end. Just a question ( no need to elaborate in the entry) - except for juju - what religion is predominant ? And what about female genital cutting -is it common there, or done at all ? Just curious smiley - smiley


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 29

Wilma Neanderthal

Hi B!

Juju is sort of in the background, if you see what I mean. It is not openly practised, so you don't have 'juju' temples and the such like but it permeates every level of culture and everyday life. You see juju talismans everywhere.

Ghanaians are predominantly Christian and no, they do not practise female circumcision (thank God smiley - sadface). There is a sub saharan tradition of tribal face marking but it is more common in Nigeria than Ghana.

The Ghanaians are pretty cool as far as being pro-female, actually. The Akan are matriarchial - ie, inheritance comes through the mother, not the father. The logic behind it is that you always know who your mother is smiley - yikessmiley - winkeye

smiley - ok

W


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 30

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - cheers Wilma smiley - biggrin


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 31

echomikeromeo

<>

That's how it is in Judaism, too. If you're mother's Jewish, you're Jewish.

I haven't anything to add to the entry - it looks good to me right now!


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 32

Wilma Neanderthal

Don't know how I missed your comment, emr - I am sorry about that.

On your comment - I remember being invited to a Chanukkah dinner by my friend's parents when I was 17, my first exposure to a Jewish family at a religious meal. I felt the women were pretty much in control of the whole event - which made me feel very comfortable.

I come from a Christian Arab family full of men which treasures its daughters - I have 9 nephews and 3 nieces, which seems to be the ratio throughout our family. We are also 3rd generation expats to Ghana (my father was born there). The more I live, the more I realise how little separates us all if we look for the links and the glue.

smiley - ok
W


A9433604 - Ghana, West Africa

Post 33

Skankyrich [?]

You're getting too good at this entry-writing stuff, Wilma - an absolute cracker smiley - winkeye


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 34

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 35

Skankyrich [?]

smiley - bubbly Great job!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 36

aka Bel - A87832164

Fantastic Wilma, brilliant work, as always smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 37

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - musicalnoteAnother one bites the dust...smiley - musicalnote
smiley - winkeye

smiley - bubblysmiley - applausesmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 38

echomikeromeo

smiley - applause


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 39

Sea Change

Coolness smiley - cool


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 40

Wilma Neanderthal

*Wilma emerges slightly dishevelled from under the BT cables that disconnected her phone line for a week*

smiley - magic Thanks everyone!

W


Key: Complain about this post