A Conversation for Doghouse Tails

Grim Up North

Post 1

Pinniped


'Ey Up, Boots...

Y'know, some people like a cold shower in the mornings.
Some people need it warm, soft and scented, and to feel the Tufted Wilton between their toes.

Each to his own.

I like it Up Here. The architecture looks good in black. The scenery has a comforting hostility to it. The weather scours your complexion.

There's no-one telling you to sort out your lifestyle. No-one whose purpose in life is to pronounce on the subtlety of infusions of camomile. We can just heap sugar into the mug after that bracing morning walk.

It's living, yeah? It asks questions. It's got a point, a beginning and an end. People interdepend. It's built on something. It has consequence, gravity, substance.

We'd notice if the North disappeared. That's the difference.

Pinsmiley - winkeye


Grim Up North

Post 2

Pinniped


Hey, I should have said...once again, well writ! smiley - ok


Grim Up North

Post 3

Boots

Hi Pin
Thanks for that. We could discuss the north versus south for hours methinks... Trust me tufted Wilton is sooo out! Glad no offence taken!
Am off for a few days as staff at day job rather thin. Also have been bullied by Mr ten percent ...not agent...accountant who insists that, after tweaking, I send some old stuff off to publishers (hah!) and work on some new stuff that, he belives, may stand a fond forlorn chance of reaching the shelves of Smiths (difinitely not Waterstones!)... double hah! Would love to try it out on h2g2 but beeb's copyright laws mean that if, (Hah! Hah! Hah!), anything should end up being published, the beeb could use all or any part of it for free and at will (having prior copyright claim). Mr ten percent not happy with that one.
Will try and send in some more stuff when time permits. Keep writing
Take care.
Boots
PS met a real published proper grown up writer at the weekend...How cool is that!


Grim Up North

Post 4

Boots

Whoops sorry about spelling and grammar...tweaking of all future drivel compulsory! Typing lessons an advantage!
Take care
Boots


Grim Up North

Post 5

Z

Just my contribution from someone who was born in the south of a Midland father and Greek mother, then moved to the North..

smiley - cdouble in the north you can buy two bedroom semi for less than a yaught

smiley - cdouble the North has spawned, The Beatles, Oasis, the liverpool poets, Northen Soul, Acid House, what has the South apart from London spawned music wise?

smiley - cdouble in the North if you loose you car key someone can always be found to help you start your car... smiley - winkeye


Grim Up North

Post 6

Researcher 216916 - Evidently I AM a number.... :(

"what has the South apart from London spawned music wise"

Paul Weller (Woking)
Led Zeppelin (Epsom, "The midlands" and others)
Status Quo (Everyone is entitled to mistakes)
The Rolling Stones (Despite LSE Mick, Kent and Essex feature)
I could go on...
Would you say Brums south? If so, the list is endless. Granted taking London out of the equation makes it harder, but there are still plenty smiley - winkeye

"in the North if you loose you car key someone can always be found to help you start your car... " True dat.


Grim Up North

Post 7

Z

Ooho no if you go on the 2 bed semi verus yaught way of defining the north verus south then Brum's definatly north, and also people stuggle against difficult backgrounds to leave the North, and Brimingham..

One acedote about the difference between north and south in britain, my family is orginally from the south, but for years we've been the only southern family on our estate in the North..(skelmersdale, the overspill town for Liverpool) and never had much money. When my little brother had an interview at Oxford he was expecting to feel an outcast as he came from Skelmersdale, instead at the interview he found he fitted in better with all the public school types than he did at the northern comphrensive we went to. Yup the public school types were less judgemental than the kids from the comp.. and he felt right at home, the money didn't matter, just the accent.


Grim Up North

Post 8

Boots

Probably the brother of the person who stole the keys! Only joshing! Just popped into say a quick 'hi'. Am busy writing the 'I need a pension fund' book. Going ok, but I miss the banter. Sad...I've only been here for three weeks.
Take care
Boots


Grim Up North

Post 9

Boots

Found ya! Now get writing!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more