Diet Coke

1 Conversation

Diet Coke is a drink that first reached the market in 1982, and is currently the third leading soft drink in the world1. While the Coca-Cola company currently has many soft drinks on the market, Diet Coke was their first addition to the Coca-Cola that had been sold for almost a century. In countries other than the UK, Canada, Australia, and the United States, Diet Coke is known by the name of 'Coca-Cola Light'. Not surprisingly, Diet Coke is largely marketed at women.

Varieties

Over the years, Diet Coke has also appeared in several flavored varieties, including Cherry, Lemon, and Vanilla Diet Coke. Available flavors tend to differ by region of the world. These varieties taste absolutely nothing like plain Diet Coke -- for some people, apparently, this is the appeal. Diet Coke purists, however, will settle for nothing but the real thing. Diet Coke is also available in a caffeine-free version, although this appears to defeat the whole purpose.

Contents

A can of Diet Coke contains 355 ml (12 fluid oz)2 of beverage that is free of calories, fat, protein, and carbohydrates. It is not totally without content however, as it does contain 40 mg of sodium and 46.5 mg of caffeine3. Other ingredients include caramel coloring, aspartame, phosphoric acid, and citric acid. While it doesn't show up in the list of ingredients, there is a warning on the can to people with phenylketonuria that Diet Coke contains phenylalanine. Not surprisingly, the leading ingredient in Diet Coke is good old water.

History of Coke Cans"
1However, Coke Classic is still Coca-Cola's leading product. There are two cans of Coke Classic sold for every can of Diet Coke.2This is the volume of Diet Coke cans in the United States. Cans bottled in other countries may be of different volumes, but the proportions of the contents should still be the same. It's worth noting that although aluminum cans and plastic bottles are now used in place of the glass bottles of old, the process for putting the drinks in the containers is still referred to as 'bottling'. 3Regular Coke, by comparison, contains 34.5 mg of caffeine. An 8 oz cup of coffee contains an average of 135 mg of caffeine.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A898996

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more