Wheelchair Tap Dancing

2 Conversations

Wheelchair dancing has been in existence for over 20 years, but wheelchair tap dancing is a relatively new endeavor. While traditional wheelchair dancing involves moving the wheelchair across the dance floor, wheelchair tap dancing focuses on the movements of the limbs while in a seated position. As such, it is an exciting form of dance that is accessible to not only those in wheelchairs, but also to others who cannot handle the physical demands of regular tap dancing, and choose to participate from a standard chair.

What You Need

  • A wheelchair or standard chair
  • Taps. For those with motor control of the legs and feet, standard tap dancing shoes will suffice. The metal taps used on tap shoes are sold separately, and can be attached to a pair of lightweight, flexible gloves to make a set of "hand taps". More coordinated dancers may enjoy using both tap shoes and hand taps at the same time.
  • A surface to tap on. For those using their feet to tap, a hard floor surface will work. For those using hand taps, a table will often do the trick. Specialized 'dance mats' are available via dance supply stores, and can be placed over the floor or table and provide an excellent tapping surface.1

How to Get Started

  1. If you are in a wheelchair, consider locking the wheels. It can be great to move the wheelchair and tap at the same time, but it can also be frustrating to have your wheelchair start rolling unintentionally while you are tapping.
  2. Tap! You might consider watching a video tape or attending a class to learn about tapping techniques or patterns; however, these will almost certainly be based on regular tap dancing, and you will need to adapt them somewhat for your use.
  3. Because wheelchair tap dancing does not require the shifting of weight and balance that can make regular tap dancing so difficult to learn, you might find yourself picking up new techniques and patterns more quickly than regular tap dancers. For an additional challenge, try tapping different rhythms with different hands or feet.
  4. Don't forget to make the 'tap face' - it's half the fun! If you're not sure what the 'tap face' is, watch some older movie musicals that feature tap dancing. The 'tap face' is an increadibly wide, open-mouthed smile, that announces to all, 'I'm having such a great time, isn't tap dancing absolutely wonderful?'
1Be forewarned that both tap shoes and hand taps can damage the surface of regular floors or tables.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A891984

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more