Bad Jokes Department: Banana Peel Humour

1 Conversation

Bad Jokes Department: Banana Peel Humour

Somebody on Twitter groused, 'Did anybody ever actually slip on a banana peel?' This question but reveals, once again, the exquisite temporal provincialism of the self-involved denizens of the 21st Century. Of course they did: from its introduction to pushcarts of the late 19th Century and for several decades after, the banana, with its discardable (but recyclable) outer covering was responsible for many a fall.

Yes, but why did people find this humorous? Because the person who fell could be a pompous nincompoop with a mincing gait whom everybody would like to see lose their composure. Hence the jokes.

Anyway, it's all the fault of Sam the Banana Man, the gangster who first imported bananas in bulk to the US. Yes, he was also responsible for destabilising governments in Central America, thus giving rise to the term banana republic. Now go and read the bad joke. Ed.

Page from a book asking the reader to do their own proofreading because the proofreader is too tired.

Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.03.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A88045743

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more