Hen Egg, Duck Egg, and Spoon

1 Conversation

Hen Egg, Duck Egg, and Spoon

Editor's Note: This started out as a cheerful photo to show you how big the eggs were. It's become a sad reminder of the vicissitudes of poultry farming.

A plate with a chicken's egg, a larger duck egg, and a teaspoon for comparison.

About a week after Farmer Hoggett proudly collected 150 eggs, tragedy struck the henhouse in the form of a fisher, which is a large weasel. The miscreant got in and killed 32 chickens. Only 9 are left (locked up at night). Hoggetts will get more poultry once they've redesigned the chicken enclosure to keep out weasels. (This will include overhead fencing.)

A fisher, which is a kind of furry brown weasel. Cute but dangerous. Do not approach.
Persona non grata: The Fisher
(Good for killing
porcupines that eat trees.)

What with this latest assault and the previous incident with the neighbours' dogs and the ducks, it's been a bad year for poultry. Hoggetts have been doing this for years, though, and though it's the first time a fisher has found its way onto the property, they've learned to roll with the agricultural punches.

It's sad news for the citizens of Hooverville who were getting free eggs. Fishers are not going to be popular around here.

Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

DG

03.04.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88023945

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more