A Conversation for Heroic

Yes, but...

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I see your point.

I still think that even people who get paid for it can be heroes when surpassing the limits of what can reasonably be expected of them though (if they don't brag about it)


Yes, but...

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

The Capitol policeman who led the weird and scary mob away from where the Congress people and their staff were hiding is definitely on my list of people to whom I say, 'You go, mister!' He exercised creativity and disregard for his own safety. Congress thought so, too - they voted him a medal. God give us all the grace of Eugene Goodman in extreme circumstances.

But I am tired of this knee-jerk attitude that heroic people are automatically 1) athletic, 2) wearing a uniform and 3) good-looking (so they can be played by a big star in the movie). I'm with FWR - the heroes are often people who battle obstacles you can't see.

Harriet Tubman - ignore the movies. She couldn't read. She had narcolepsy. She had apocalyptic visions. The people she knew, even if they meant well, still couldn't see past her skin colour and gender. But she saved people. She was truly heroic.


Yes, but...

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Yes, that was what I was trying to convey..


Yes, but...

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Three great minds that think alike, maybe? smiley - winkeye


Yes, but...

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I wouldn't mind.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Heroic

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more