A Conversation for A Place to Call Home

Some thoughts about the French resistance

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My, MVP.

I've had way too much time to think about things, and I've been musing about your story about the French resistance. Here's what I came up with, and I hope what I say will be all right with you:

As bad as the German occupiers were, they were not breaking new ground.
From the ancient world on, if an army conquered a place, the men were killed or enslaved, and the women became wives of the soldiers (if of childbearing age). At least the Germans didn't kill Frenchmen just for being Frenchmen.

And if the shoe were on the other foot? There would likely have been a German resistance movement. As indeed there was against Napoleon
http://www.sparknotes.com/history/european/napoleonic/section7/
(Nt a perfect parallel, as Germany was not yet united)

But France became free of Germany, so we hear about La Resistance.

England and the U.S. are havens of continuous independence. If we want to feel the thrill of noble resistance against a tyrranical foe, what could be better than revisiting the French freedom-fighters.

But France was the tyrant during the Napoleonic wars. And England was thought of as a tyrant for Irish freedom-fighters.

And I remember the late sixties/early seventies, when I thought of the U.S. as a tyrant in its war in Vietnam.

All countries are capable of tyranny. Even Buddhist ones where pacifism is a core tenet
http://classroom.synonym.com/the-bu...t-beliefs-in-pacifism-12084914.html

I'm not here to take anything away from the grim record of German occupation of Europe in the 1940s. I admire the French resistance, in hindsight. There was nowhere else the French could go anyway. I love the story that was written about it, and wish it could find a wider readership.

But I look at myself in the mirror and know that both tyrant and victim could be looking back at me.


Some thoughts about the French resistance

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I meant "Hi, MVP," not "My, MVP."

I hope you are well, and looking forward to the holidays.


Some thoughts about the French resistance

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

Hi Paulh. I'm glad you liked my story.smiley - smiley I did quite a lot of book research and set it in part of France I know to some extent. All the same, I can't be sure I've got everything right.

I'm sure you're right that every country and people are capable of tyranny. I suppose the traditions of democracy and free speech which have been established in the UK and USA should protect us from tyrannies in our own countries. They don't prevent us from being tyrants elsewhere. The story is complicated by racism. The Brits did some awful things in Africa and Asia. If we believe in human rights, they have got to be universal, regardless of race, colour or religion.

But these are very serious thoughts and Christmas is coming. I hope you are well and have company for Christmas smiley - holly!


Some thoughts about the French resistance

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I had some nice company yesterday, and may have some again, but I may be alone at Christmas. smiley - cry

we have a brutal cold front on the way. smiley - sadface

I had some groceries delivered today, but I have to go out in the worst of the cold on Thursday for a medical appointment. smiley - brr


Some thoughts about the French resistance

Post 5

minorvogonpoet

Keep warm and keep well! smiley - hug


Some thoughts about the French resistance

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The forecasts are all over the map.

A foot of snow Tuesday into Wednesday? Or no snow until Thursday?

10 degrees overnight? or nothing lower than 22?

I just got back from mailing gifts to my sister and my nephew. I got xtra stamps, and filled the gas tank of my car.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more