A Conversation for Holes in History - FWR - The Chase.

The Chase. Part 20.

Post 1

FWR

Rulf, in turn, told his tale, explaining how he had met Eóghan, Tadgh roaring with laughter at the thought of his brother accusing Rulf of poaching!

How the houndsman had taught him all he knew of breeding the huge dogs, how to care for the lands, gave him the skill of reading and writing, and, most importantly, how he was considered family on the estate.

Rulf told the sad news of Eóghan's illness and his peaceful death.

He paused before reporting all was now lost, seized by the King, a casualty of the Church and Crown's expansion into Ireland.

How he had sailed away, the three ships and crew at harbour, condemned to a life of piracy. A sad end to a remarkable life.

Tadgh grasped his arm, thanking him for the news, and the love and loyalty he had given Eóghan.

Offering that life had merely turned full circle, and returned them both to their roots.

*If sea thieves and poachers we are meant to be, thank the Gods we will at last be raiding and poaching on the coasts together!*

Tadhg took a long swallow, grip tightening upon Rulf's arm.

*There is one more twist to our saga, my friend, one I fear to tell,* the big man looked troubled, hunting for his words, *The winter after our escape, I went into the forest, went in search of your kin.*

Rulf leant forward, the hope in his eyes paining Tadhg further. Another drink before he continued, voice low and gentle.

*They're all gone too, boy, your Ma and Da and the boy, Rowan, yes?*

Rulf nodded and simply asked, *How?*

*Our fat Norman friend, deRocelle, had them arrested, taken to Gravesberie, they were. Your parents were hanged Rulf, hanged for defying Forest Law, your Da put up a brave fight, it is said, died a warrior not a thief!*

Tadhg paused again, sorrow on his brow, hating to carry on, but he owed it to his friend to speak the awful truth.

*Rowan, oh Rulf, young Rowan, still a boy, damn them all, they made him run the Chase. Two hours he led the hounds a merry dance, but they brought him down near Thorston….. *

Tadhg trailed off, aware Rulf was picturing the scene, eyes full of pain and tears at the thought of his little brother being torn to shreds by the hounds.

*I am so sorry to speak of such things, tell me Rulf, is there anything I can do little brother?*

Rulf held back his tears.

He looked at his friend's ravaged face, felt his own scar burning, then quietly said,

*Yes my old friend, you can help me kill Goubert, that yaldson must pay!*


The Chase. Part 20.

Post 2

minorvogonpoet

So he is going to seek vengeance after all. smiley - applause


The Chase. Part 20.

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applause This is great stuff!


The Chase. Part 20.

Post 4

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Love it. Go get him!


The Chase. Part 20.

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Goubert will not be missed. smiley - grr


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more