114. Spotlight on Crepuscular Meadows: A budding romance between Matteo Chelone and Gaia Philpin

0 Conversations


114. Spotlight on Crepuscular Meadows: A budding romance between Matteo Chelone and Gaia Philpin

Matteo Chelone was more than gobsmacked by Gaia's speech. He was totally smitten by her. After she finished, she headed for the door, and Matteo was three steps behind her. "Miss Philpin," he said shyly, "I have never met anyone like you. Your plan is brilliant and heartfelt, and if I'm not too bold in asking this, may I ask you out on a date?"

"Oh, Matteo," she said softly, touching the dimple on his cheek with her thumb, "I've liked you for years, and never worked up the courage to approach you. Now you've done the work for me. Yes, by all means let's have lunch at Emma' cafe. You'll have to stay for the rest of this meeting, I gather, but I'll be sitting on a bench in the Park waiting for you."

Mrs. Mumble, who was in the third row of chairs, happened to turn her head in time to see Gaia touch Matteo's cheek, and read the sign correctly. A very happy look crossed her face. She liked both Matteo and Gaia, and it made her happy to think of the children they might have together. And the interesting ways in which Clematis Station would thrive with the ideas they brought to it.

Meanwhile, Bernard Philpin was talking about the need for an arborist, someone who would be on tap through the year to advise on insect pests, remove damaged branches, and so forth. Gosh, but he was boring, Guido Conti said softly. Frank Green, who was next to him, heard the remark, and advised him to be patient. "I know some really good arborists in Clanville and Lost Village, and they are worth their weight in gold. This is kind of a boring stage in the development of our program, but things will get better."

The meeting broke up around Noon, with plans to have yet more meetings once a week for the foreseeable future. Matteo hurried to the Park, where Gaia was looking attentively at the largest beech tree. "This tree is unhappy because we have had so little rain this Summer," she said.
"Did you know that the very first oak tree grew from a Beech seed? They are that close genetically, though you wouldn't want to mix beeches and oaks in the same forest. Beeches can tolerate some shade. They would patiently grow to the top of the forest, then shade the oaks into oblivion."

"Are you sure you aren't an arborist?" Matteo asked.

"You're a bit of an arborist yourself," Gaia said, taking his hand and leading him toward the Southwest gate. "I see what you've done with those American Plum trees, and you are brilliant."

They had just a block to go to get to Emma's. Minny Dandrich saw them holding hands, and wondered when they would have their first kiss.

Autumn is not your usual season for romance, but good things can happen when two tree people get together. Autumn is perfect for planting trees. And maybe they'd be planting a human family before long as well.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88000995

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more