99. Spotlight on Crepuscular Meadows: What to do with an enormous pumpkin?

0 Conversations


99. Spotlight on Crepuscular Meadows: What to do with an enormous pumpkin?

It should have been obvious to everyone what the raffle prize would be, but it still came as a shock when Victoria Schoenberg won.

"A pumpkin? I've won a pumpkin?" she gasped as the winner was announced. And not just any pumpkin, this was the huge pumpkin that Guido Conti had provided.

"Where would you like us to have it delivered?" asked Remigia Barcoli, the plump, good-natured head of fellowship services at the church.

"Um, I only have a small apartment at Clematis Station," she said. "There wouldn't be much room for anything else there if I put it there."

"Put in a call to Bernard Philpin and ask if he'd allow it to be displayed in the dining room," Minny Dandrich suggested.

So that was where it ended up, for a while. Eventually, Donatello Firenze, the art teacher there promised, it would become a jack-o-lantern as an art project, and would be placed beside the front steps to the Station.

So that was how the diners found matters when they convened for supper. The good people at the Anything Goes Church had also thrown in some of the Indian Corn, and Matteo Chelone, the groundskeeper, had set up a table by the wall, with a white tablecloth to display the pumpkin and corn. And some gourds that the Church also sent over, gratis.

"It appears that we have some Autumn decorations," Philpin announced during dessert. "Ms. Schoenberg has graciously donated the winning raffle prize from the Autumn festival."

Everyone clapped. Victoria, who hated to call attention to herself, nearly fainted.

Oh, well.

And Mr. Doulton enjoyed his cheeseburger.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87999872

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more