A Conversation for 24 Lies a Second: Men Out of Time

It's shame that so many great westerns debuted when I wasn't watching movies much

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I was in college form 1966 through 1970. The classic movies from that era were undereprsented. And the ones I *did* see tended to have Julie Andrews Woody Allen, or Peter sellers in them. Worse, the only even remotely "western"movie Juie was in was "Hawaii," which I didn't see. That's a shame, because there's supposed to be a great scene where she's fighting a nasty fire. She describes her horror at filming that scene in her recent book, "Home work."

he only Redford/Newman movie that's vivid in my mind is "The Sting," which is also vivid for the impression that Eileen Brennan made.

The question, since so many great westerns were released during that time, would I have gone out of my way to see them? Well, that's complicated. "Maverick" was in the past, and "Blazing saddles" would not come out until 1974. I saw a lot of classic tv westerns up through 1965, so I didn't have a great deficit of westerns. That left musicals, comedies,whodunits, etc. "Doctor Doolitle" (1967) was an honorary musical, as it had Rex Harrison and some nice songs.




Key: Complain about this post

It's shame that so many great westerns debuted when I wasn't watching movies much

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more