A Conversation for Stairs

Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

FWR says:

Highlights and shadows give this shot a real sense of drama. The rather grand staircase beautifully detailed in the contrast. Detail on the window has been 'blown out' by the harsh backlight, but this adds to the effect.


The angles gained from the point of view DG has adopted adds further architectural interest, making the viewer want to explore this building and feel that dark (oak?) wood.


bobstafford:

The first impression is strength and dignity, this is a beautiful staircase beautifully made. The texture and detail of the woodwork is brought out by the the natural lighting. The lighting has brought the detail of the work of the master carpenter.


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Yes, but what if Mrs. Danvers is up there? smiley - yikes


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The photo is tailor-made for filme noir.


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 5

cactuscafe

Completely film noir! Amazing. Draws you in. The atmosphere is charged with anticipation.

(we await our esteemed Ed's film noir video series)


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Maybe he hurt his back lifting the heavy Leslie, whatever that is.

Most film series eventually become rather boring. I will, of course, get in deep trouble for writing this, because someone will be able to think of an exceptional series that was riveting from beginning to end. In their opinion, naturally. smiley - doh

Controversy sells papers. I suppose if I am a bad example, people will flock to the Post to see what my latest outrage is. I'm happy to help the Post, because doing so helps this site. (Strikes a dramatic pose)


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 7

cactuscafe

Most film series eventually become rather boring.

(considers) smiley - coffee

By series do you mean like a film type? A genre? A style?

I have dvds of my favourite films which I watch over and over. My Columbo movies endure, in their 70s glory, despite the changing world around them. Heheh.

And my fave b/w films I have on dvd are Hitchcock's Rebecca, Harvey, Brief Encounter and Pi. And Anton Corbijn's b/w music videos.

So, for me, favourite films never become boring.

The type of film I don't care for are those which bludgeon me with violence, gritty social realism or lots of car chases and exploding things.

smiley - coffee

I do love b/w film, no doubt. DG's pic is gorgeously atmospheric, and when you said film noir it got me thinking about the link between photos and film! So thanks for that.

smiley - coffee

As for people flocking to the Post to see what your latest outrage is.

smiley - coffee

I enjoy debate and diversity of opinion if it gets me thinking or enriches my experience of the world. I guess outrage can add spice to a debate.

I tend to walk away from debates, (which is my grown up version of stomp out crying smiley - wahsmiley - rofl) if someone is provoking me with contrary opnions just to wind me up.

I've endured quite a lot of this in my time, meanies out to steal the joy in my soul.

Not saying you're doing this. You just got me thinking intensely about the past. (clutches brow) Its good.

Controversy sells papers.

Mm interesting. Have to think about that one. Although I'm into b/w movie thought zone right now.

Need another coffee now. smiley - coffee or brandy. Oh no wait, its breakfast time. smiley - rofl





Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 8

cactuscafe

I just had an idea.

Uh oh. smiley - rofl

I'm going to mute the colour on my TV and watch my entire Columbo DVD box set in black and white. See how it affects the nature of the films.

I have no life??

What??

smiley - rofl


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 9

FWR

*The type of film I don't care for are those which bludgeon me with violence, gritty social realism or lots of car chases and exploding things*

Ah but add some knitting....


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Yes, knitting!

I think of a film series as something like Shrek, Shrek 1, Shrek 2, Shrek 3, etc. Or Toy Story, etc.

Film franchises are a low-risk way of getting people into theater seats, as the viewers already know something about the characters and settings. Nothing wrong with that, really, except a sense of deja vu. The actors involved enjoy some job security over a period of a decade or two. The down side is the danger of typecasting.

But notice that Meryl Streep has succeeded largely by not doing any sequels or franchises. Even "Mamma Mia 2" has her reprising her role in flashbacks or as a ghost.


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

"I'm going to mute the colour on my TV and watch my entire Columbo DVD box set in black and white. See how it affects the nature of the films."

Great idea! I think 'Columbo' will look good in black and white as it does have a bit of 'film noir' about it smiley - ok

This is an impressive image - I like how it focuses on details rather than the stairs themselves, and the strong contrast emphasises the strength of the building smiley - ok


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 12

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I cannot overstate the beauty of 'Perry Mason' in black-and-white, which we are currently watching. Or re-watching, as we saw this as children. smiley - rofl


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 13

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My inner child has asked if he could see it. smiley - grovel


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 14

cactuscafe

Ah I see, re the film series and the franchises etc. Interesting consideration.

Ah Mamma Mia (starts on Abba rendition.)

Stops. smiley - tomato

I tend to like the first of a series the most. Shrek particularly.

Or do I??

Yes! Ah knitting! Knitting!

I love the Post. I can end a posting with the words ah knitting! Knitting! and everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about. Sort of. smiley - rofl What am I talking about? I must go knit immediately.


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 15

FWR

I was actually talking about the gratuitous knitting scenes in an otherwise perfectly violent movie!smiley - biggrin


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 16

cactuscafe

Of course you were. smiley - rofl

And here ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of Post-speek. smiley - thepost The language that many seek and yearn to speek.

Now I understand everything.


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 17

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Which was the motto of the Beta RPG. smiley - rofl


Comments: Stairs (DG)

Post 18

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It's okay to knit, but to be a qualified knitwit you must train. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post