A Conversation for Fine for Tilting

Don Quixote

Post 1

cactuscafe

See how clever I am! I knew about tilting at windmills, meaning attacking imaginary enemies.

Huh?

Of course I didn't know. smiley - rofl. I just wondered why you mentioned tilt, and what it is. Now I am really clever, and I will return to this windmill to do a spot of jousting, tilting, where does Don Quixote come into it? I know not, I never read the book. Should I read the book?


Don Quixote

Post 2

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeyesmiley - spacesmiley - prof's perspective smiley - whistle

Oh no! The mad monk with a Katana smiley - run


Don Quixote

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I think the book would teach you that Don Quixote is perfectly sane whenever he is discussing things that have nothing to do with chivalry. It might also disturb you when the time comes to destroy the Don's books smiley - yikes.

If "The man who killed Don Quixote" is in a theater near you, maybe you should watch it instead of reading the book.
"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318517/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1


Don Quixote

Post 4

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

At least the mill wicks are reasonably far from the ground. I recently had the opportunity to climb a stationary mill wick (after double checking the brakes were on). Those just missed the ground, which is probably more efficient, but quite deadly if you don't watch out (the wooshing noise should be some kind of warning though)


Don Quixote

Post 5

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Tour Guide! The last person to sit here, lost their head


Don Quixote

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Ah,but it only happened once. smiley - smiley


Don Quixote

Post 7

cactuscafe

smiley - rofl

OK, thanks all, and very interesting, re Don Quixote and other things.

This smock windmill is in Rottingdean, near Brighton, Sussex, UK. It was built in 1802, but the original sweeps and fantail were damaged by fire, after the mill stopped working in 1881.

According to an article from the Rottingdean Preservation Society, the Sussex Weekly Advertiser of 7th June 1802 reported that the workmen who were digging the ground to lay the foundations, uncovered the remains of an ancient warrior, and sword.

And this wasn't all, oh no it wasn't. To know what happened next, please send a bag of donuts smiley - donut and a chocolate angel smiley - chocsmiley - angel to my personal space.

No?? OK then, I'l tell you for free. According to the sources mentioned above, when the workmen returned from a break, the ancient warrior (what was left of him) (or possibly her) (but we assume him) (or do we??) and the sword were both gone, never to be seen again.





Don Quixote

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Ancient warriors don't die they just fade away. smiley - ghostsmiley - elvis


Don Quixote

Post 9

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"Rottingdean Preservation Society"

smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeyeThey'd better get a move on then! To preserve the Deansmiley - sadfacethe poor blokesmiley - erm


Don Quixote

Post 10

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork


Don Quixote

Post 11

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I knew they'd find James Dean sooner or later. Who knew he'd be whistling this tune at the time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZljYnObOI


Don Quixote

Post 12

bobstafford

Tilting with windmills, I have not tried that they are a bit too tall for me.
I have had a go in a tiltyard with a chap called Max Diamond. He insisted the full kit was worn at all times.
It is not a comfortable way to spend an afternoon but it sure is interesting and different, and an excellent way to collect bruises.

A safe link http://www.combatthroughtheages.com/history.htmlsmiley - erm


Don Quixote

Post 13

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I knew the windmill looked familiar. Walked the South Downs way ages ago (OK, about 26 years, give or take a gnat's whisker). Must have seen it back then, maybe even took a picture.

Good to hear the Dean is still rotting, after all these years.


Don Quixote

Post 14

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

My interest in windmills is directly related to my family name (real life).

The family windmill (at the time of Napoleontic name giving) was situated in the town of Poortugaal. Built in 1750, but unfortunately demolished in 1964, so I never saw it for real (but at least there are photos). It was a round stone tower mill for grinding flour.


Don Quixote

Post 15

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

That is absolutely cool, that you know where the windmill was. smiley - smiley

Also, that there is a town called Poortugaal.


Don Quixote

Post 16

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEhS9Y9HYjU


smiley - wahno bloody wind the day I had them smiley - wah


Don Quixote

Post 17

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Perhaps it wasn't a great day for windmills, but you could have mistaken a flock of sheep for an army of warriors. Or a lady of the evening for the fairest lady in the land.


Don Quixote

Post 18

cactuscafe

Considers Max Diamond, rotting Deans, and many other things. smiley - rofl

Thank you for your insights, rich and varied, and h2g2 bonkers, naturally.

The windmill will never be the same now. smiley - rofl. I hike to it quite often, it is a couple of miles from where we live.

Can't beleeeve you remember it from hiking the South Downs Way, caiman. Did you see the Long Man of Wilmington?

Saw him from the Brighton to Eastbourne train, yesterday, in fact. No, he wasn't on the train, saw him from the train. Be strange, a large ancient chalk figure getting onto the train. smiley - rofl

The South Downs are amazing. Where sheep turn into warriors. That could explain the skeleton 'neath the windmill. A sheep. Except sheep don't carry swords, except in fevered dreams. And not even then, really. One hopes.

What to say to a sword wielding sheep? smiley - sheep How do you do that, you four legged usually peaceful creature?


Don Quixote

Post 19

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Maybe the sheep had trouble with spelling. They were grazing on a sward, and thought it was a sword.


Don Quixote

Post 20

cactuscafe

Actually, I now can't get away from the image of the Long Man Of Wilmington getting onto the train.

(he's an ancient chalk figure carved into the South Downs, kinda tall, opening the portals to another world, or carrying hiking sticks that look like ski sticks, no one really knows his origins. He's probably not as ancient as originally thought.)

S'cuse me mate, could you stow your ski sticks on the overhead rack, they're obscuring the aisle.

(argument breaks out, in which the Long Man protests they represent a portal to another world, and are not ski sticks, there is no skiiing on the South Downs, not enough snow, except for during that Neolithic cold snap.)

No point getting historical hysterical with me, mate, we all know you are much younger than you look, and therefore have to abide by the rules of the time.








Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Fine for Tilting

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more