A Conversation for 24 Lies a Second: The Adventure of the Blanched Filmgoer

Good points!

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"I may only have another 35 years left to live; do I really want to spend them trying to assimilate this kind of worthless rubbish?"

I will be lucky to have 25 more years, and I've often wondered many of the same things you have, Awix. I avoided "Holmes and Watson" because the reviews were among the worst I've seen anywhere.

But even if they had not been bad, I might still have been wary. Great reviews sometimes are misleading. For instance:

"Revenant" was praised to the hilt, but the only message I could take from it was that an artist who wants to suffer for his art will probably make others suffer as well.

"The cook, the thief, his wife, and her lover" had great reviews and such an unappetizing set of scenes that I left before I had to throw up.

"Dumb and Dumber" was a film with bad reviews, but I watched it as an exercise in appreciating Jeff Daniels's talent for taking terrible material and almost making it cohere somehow. Not so with "Dumb and Dumber to," which had a subplot about a kidney transplant, probably the unfunniest plot of all time. smiley - sadface

So, all of us are on our own in this life. No review, no matter how meticulous, can give anyone a sense of the pitfalls of any particular movie. Sure, read the reviews; sometimes they are more entertaining than the movie itself. But remember that a lot of talented actors have gone into what they thought would be good movies, only to discover afterwards that the result wa a pile of dreck!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 24 Lies a Second: The Adventure of the Blanched Filmgoer

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more