Post Quiz: British Law Run Amok
"If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a ass."
Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist
We've always known that US laws are weird. But what about the UK? Some of these laws are real. Others we just made up. Pick the real ones.
- Potatoes cannot be imported to the UK from Poland without first notifying the authorities.
- It is illegal to be drunk in a pub.
- It is illegal to marry a Scotsman in Huddersfield.
- It is illegal to handle salmon in suspicious circumstances.
- MPs may not wear armour in Parliament.
- It is illegal to chew gum on the Underground.
- It is illegal to jump the queue in the Tube ticket hall.
- It is illegal to beat a carpet on the sidewalk in London.
- It is illegal to activate your burglar alarm without first nominating a 'Key-Holder' who can switch it off in your absence.
- It is illegal to make a horse wear a funny hat.
For answers, click the picture.