A Conversation for The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2003

Peer Review: A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2004

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2004 - A87917700
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

Part II of IV in the story of an unappreciated animation studio.

<BB<


A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2004

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Good to see this in Peer Review smiley - ok

The Competitors section is good - sets things into context well.

Perhaps just need to emphasise in The Tigger Movie that the film is set in the UK (or is it actually set in a fictional wood in the USA for this film, hence the avalanche?). That is impressive that the film beat Fantasia 2000 and The Road to El Dorado at the box office!

"Nickelodoen" --> "Nickelodeon"

"The characters deserve better than this plot." - yes indeed...

"Will Scamp get damp" smiley - snorksmiley - ok That is disappointing that the film fails the Bechdel Test when Lady is so underused as a character so it could have been better...

"Anastastia" --> "Anastasia"

Jaq's dream/wish comes true? I can't argue with the prunes/chocolate cake sentence, though! smiley - ok

"Made six years after The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the difference in the quality of animation is apparent. " - improved, or not improved?

The Plot paragraph of 101 Dalmatians II "is in London where to hold auditions to appear on the show." - Thunderbolt is holding the auditions, or is in London where auditions are taking place?

The Plot paragraph of Piglet's BIG Movie needs a bit of a tweak, too.

You mention 'Disney Video Premier(e)s' twice - fits better in the Disneytoon Studios section.

I think you might be better finishing the Entry here, as that is enough for one sitting... The next instalment can then start cleanly with DisneyToon smiley - ok


A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2004

Post 3

Bluebottle

Thanks for those tweaks, changes have been made.smiley - ok

"Made six years after The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the difference in the quality of animation is apparent. " - improved, or not improved?
I wouldn't say it is case of not being improved, more a case that 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' was made for $100million while the sequel was made quicker and cheaper. With animated films always look to see how much of what you are seeing is actually moving – real animated movement, and not just the camera pan and scanning from side to side. Particularly the background characters right at the back. So the opening shot for the sequel has a lovely flat image of Paris, like a painting, that the camera moves down and around following. The image itself is lovely, but it is still one flat image. For the original the opening sequence is animated so that it looks like the camera enters the picture and sweeps around Paris rather than just looking at it.

At the moment this is the longest entry in the series and in many ways it would make sense to divide it at the rebranding point. This would then mean the third entry either gets longer or split in half so before I commit to anything I'll give any other readers a week or so to let me know what they think as well as give it some thought myself.

If it does get divided then the two Disney Video Premieres mentions would each be in a separate entry so I won't change the fact that I discuss it twice at the moment.

<BB<


A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2003

Post 4

Bluebottle

This entry has been divided.

<BB<


A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2004

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

Thank you smiley - ok

Ah, so the fact that six years had elapsed did not have a significant effect on the quality that could be produced at a cheap price, I see smiley - ok

Good information about the animators' knowledge of Sussex smiley - ok

Good change to the Dreams Come True section smiley - ok

Interesting what you noticed about Baloo - I don't recall having seen Jungle Book 2 but strangely my mental image of Baloo is of him being grey-blue, even though I have seen The Jungle Book and see that he was grey in that... smiley - huh Ah smiley - eureka I might have seen part of the film on TV one Christmas, now I come to think of it - that would make sense...

The Entry ends neatly now smiley - ok


A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2003

Post 6

Bluebottle

smiley - ta I've tweaked it to make the Hundred Akers consistent.

<BB<


A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2003

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Here are some more questions smiley - ok

Extremely Goofy Movie "is one of only two DisneyToon Studios films to be rated as better than the original film" - Which is the other one?

In the Little Mermaid II, does the baby meet King Triton before being taken back to the castle?

"The character of Tiger Lilly, central to Peter Pan, has been removed" - Tiger Lily? Was she removed from Return to Neverland, or not included in the first place?

In Cinderella II "Grand Duke, Baker, Bert & Flower Vendor" - Bert? Ah smiley - eureka - the Grand Duke is also known as Bert, is that right?

"Fairy Godmother, Drizella Tremaine" - they are two different characters but played by the same voice artist?

Does Anastasia's dream come true, or does she regret it as well?

In Hunchback of Notre Dame II, is the spelling Esmerelda or Esmeralda?

"American style Thunderbolt's Adventure Hour is Sponsored by 'Kanine Krunchies'" - should that read "US-style"? (Does Canadian TV have programmes sponsored like that?)

"leading to Mowgli's punishment" - what punishment?

Was it really only a couple of days that Mowgli knew Baloo in the original Disney film? That is not the case in the book?

smiley - ok


A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2003

Post 8

Bluebottle

'Brother Bear 2' (2006) is the other sequel rated as being better than the original (in this case 'Brother Bear' (2003). Personally I think they're both smiley - yawn)

Yes, King Triton and little Melody meet briefly on a ship before Melody is taken back to the castle and locked up inside.

Technically Tiger Lilly wasn't included in the sequel…

Bert is one of the background mice in 'Cinderella' and 'Cinderella II' (Bert, Mert, Luke, Mary, Suzy and Perla) but as he isn't particularly important I've deleted the mention of him to avoid confusion.

Yes, Fairy Godmother and Drizella Tremaine are both played by the same voice artist – I've added semi-colons to make the divides clearer. I've also mentioned Anastasia again and changed 'American' to 'US-' as I don’t know about Canadian television sponsorship regulations.

The Baloo in the Disney film is very different to the Baloo in the book and is given greater prominence: http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/jun/10/review-the-jungle-book-rudyard-kipling

In 'The Jungle Book' Mowgli doesn't know Baloo very long at all. One lunchtime Mowgli meets Bagheera shortly after having met the elephants in the morning, he is promptly taken by monkeys to meet King Louie and is rescued by Baloo in early evening and the day ends. Next morning Baloo talks about taking Mowgli to the village but Mowgli runs away and meets Kaa for a second time and escapes, Mowgli meets some vultures, is attacked by Shere Khan and defended by the vultures, Bagheera and Baloo in the evening, with Shere Khan running off. Next morning Mowgli goes to the village. Mowgli and Baloo don't actually spend much time together.

<BB<


A87917700 - The Ultimate Disney MovieToons Animated Film Guide: 2000-2003

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks for those clarifications smiley - ok

Particularly interesting about sense of time in films - not something I've particularly paid attention to, but I will watch out for that in future smiley - ok


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! smiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post