A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: Supporting Characters

Chandler

Post 1

Paigetheoracle

Ah, a poet of the written word, whose very name I am not fit to mention...(Well alright I loved his short stories and didn't mind how he cobbled his novels together, based on some of them but like Douglas Adams, his best work was his earliest; stop kicking me in the shins, it was in my opinion!).


Chandler

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I agree with all of that. smiley - laugh


Chandler

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The success of many Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals was enhanced by secondary couples -- Will and Ado Annie in "Oklahoma," Carrie and Mr Snow in "Carousel," Tuptim and her lover in "King and I," The lieutenant and Bloody Mary's daughter in "South pacific," etc. Usually these secondary couples are played for comic effect, but they can also involve tragedy -- the death of Tuptim's lover, the death of the Lieutenant. "Sound of Music" [which didn't have a libretto by Hammerstein] lost the secondary couple in the movie version, and downplayed the tertiary couple. Oh, well.

Maybe Oscar Hammerstein II tried too hard. Craft seems to be ebbing these days, though I keep hearing (form Dustin Hoffman, no less) that television is getting better while movies are getting worse, and novels have become irrelevant to male readers.

The horror the horror!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: Supporting Characters

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more