A Conversation for Not the Colours of Wildlife: Eastern Cottontail

Nature Red in Tooth and Claw ...

Post 1

Willem

Nature is actually not like that at all. There are so many small, soft, weak, delicate, and exquisitely beautiful thingies all around! Like these bunnehs ...


Nature Red in Tooth and Claw ...

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

How true. smiley - smiley


Nature Red in Tooth and Claw ...

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I could enjoy peaceful coexistence with Eastern Cottontails if they would read the guidebooks and eat the things the guidebooks say they like to eat. Things like dandelions and grasses and clover. As long as they stick with those, which are plentiful here, I won' have any problems.

On the other side of the coin, these bunnies are supposed to dislike Yarrow and sunflowers. Yeah, right!

But our rabbits seem to steer clear of dandelions, grasses and clover. They *do* eat yarrow and sunflowers. And my coneflowers and asters are always vulnerable. Last year they chewed off the petals form my tiger lilies. smiley - huh What were they thinking? smiley - huh


Nature Red in Tooth and Claw ...

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

The one in the picture definitely eats grasses, clover, dandelions, and the like. (Plus carrots from the supermarket when we throw them out.)

We haven't had any trouble with our sunflowers or rabbits in anything else...it's the deer we have to worry about. Deer around here gobble up lilies and peonies and other decorative flowers.


Nature Red in Tooth and Claw ...

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Yeah, we loaded up on flowers that rabbits won't bother, but deer would bother them if we had any. I'm glad we don't

What we *do* have is wild turkeys. One came down our entrance ramp yesterday.


Nature Red in Tooth and Claw ...

Post 6

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Our approach to gardening is cutting it down once or twice a year, for accessibility, so any wildlife is free to come and eat it. We do have a lot of birds of all kinds living there. (a colony of sparrows, some jays, pigeons, blackbirds, starlings, magpies, and the type that may not pass the philther)

The bunnies mainly reside in the park behind ou house. I expect this has something to do with the neigbours' cats and dogs.


Nature Red in Tooth and Claw ...

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The presence of the bunnies gives the cats and dogs something to so, as well.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Not the Colours of Wildlife: Eastern Cottontail

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more