A Conversation for Titanic Meets Lifeboat

Wow, what an astonishing production

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Who would have thought you could have had this staged in a theater? It was really over the top. It seems to put all those disaster movies in the shade. This German prof is a bit of an elitist although I do think the stage crew had more to do with the success than the poor actors did.


Wow, what an astonishing production

Post 2

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I assume this play was performed before the invention of health and safety. Real powder explosions and open fire on stage...

When will it be in reprise?

Title suggestion: "Misérable boat trip to Saigon" (to stay in the James Cameron theme)


Wow, what an astonishing production

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl I love it!

I know for a fact that about the same time, somebody in Vienna staged Noah's Flood - which must have been amazingly dangerous, with water tanks.

And then, of course, there was the stage production of 'Ben Hur', complete with chariot race...a cyclorama and treadmills were involved.

Here are still from the actual programme for 'Ben Hur':

http://www.performingartsarchive.com/Broadway/Ben-Hur_1900/Ben-Hur_1900.htm


Wow, what an astonishing production

Post 4

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

My daughter is into musicals, but we haven't seen anything like Ben Hur up till now.(she played Annie in the musical with that name, on a small local stage). Sounds really impressive, especially with real galopping horses on the stage.
Now I come to think of it, I have seen something like it. The Dutch Musical "Soldaat van Oranje" (Soldier of Orange) has a dedicated theatre/Hangar with circular rotating stage. At some point they drive a motor cycle all round, they have a beach with real water, gunfire and at the end a real taxiing airplane is involved.
It is also the longest running Dutch musical ever and still sells out multiple times a day.

I will show the Ben Hur link to my daughter.


Wow, what an astonishing production

Post 5

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Wow. A musical of 'Soldaat van Oranje'? Sounds amazing! Where is it performed?

I've seen the movie - Rutger Hauer ftw. smiley - laugh

'Annie' is a challenging role - your daughter must be very good. smiley - smiley


Wow, what an astonishing production

Post 6

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

This musical is only performed on the old military airfield Valkenburg, near Katwijk, The Netherlands. As far as I know only in Dutch. It has been running and sold out since 2010.

My daughter surprised me with her Annie performance and she is getting better all the time.


Wow, what an astonishing production

Post 7

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - cool


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Titanic Meets Lifeboat

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more