A Conversation for The God of Lens Flare

Gorgeous

Post 21

cactuscafe

You're wise mvp! This is good advice indeed. To ruin my camera is ridiculous, to damage my eyes is regrettable. I will leave the orb and the blue bubble, ah! goodbye circular mysteries, to return to from whence they came.

My solar phase will now give way to less intense light effects. Neon exit signs, metallic sunflash on passing cars, thoughtwaves illuminated by a starflash. As opposed to a starfish.


Gorgeous

Post 22

cactuscafe

I tried to photograph the obelisk today, the sculpture in the High St with the riddles from the Exeter Book engraved on it.

It's all mirrors! Very beautiful, and kind of bendy, fluid, mirror reflections.

You see the riddle in mirror writing on one panel, which reflects onto the next panel so you can read it, but you also see your own reflection and all the people in the High St and all the shops and everything.

Which makes it quite unphotographicable unless you're a pro. Un what?? Well, you know what I mean. smiley - rofl

I didn't know it was made of mirrors. I have to join h2g2 to see what's in my own High St.

I did get one picture, a close up, with a bendy window from an office building in the background, and the words 'Silent is my dress when I step across the earth, reside in my house, or ruffle the waters' but its not really obelisky enough.

I'm going to try for more obelisky pics.

If anyone understands this garbled posting, you are a genius. smiley - rofl



Gorgeous

Post 23

FWR

mirrors are tricky...try a really low viewpoint?


Gorgeous

Post 24

cactuscafe

Interesting. What's a low viewpoint?


Gorgeous

Post 25

FWR

Looking up at it. You may get sky reflected but you won't get buildings.. Unless you live in new York lol


Gorgeous

Post 26

cactuscafe

Ah! Splendid! I'll try that! Thanks me darlin.


Gorgeous

Post 27

minorvogonpoet

Looking forward to seeing your mirror picture! Please smiley - grovel.


Gorgeous

Post 28

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Sounds wonderful! smiley - biggrin

I remember how delighted I was decades ago, when I went through the glass museum at Corning, New York. They make Steuben glass there.

I happened to visit when they had a guest exhibit by a glass artist from the UK - regrettably, I don't remember his name. He engraved glass bowls which told a story as they rotated on turntables. He'd also included the model for a church window he'd done - based on 'The Dream of the Rood', another very famous Anglo-Saxon poem.

Oh, I found it! It's Laurence Whistler, and the window is in Dorset:

http://supertradmum-etheldredasplace.blogspot.com/2012/06/dream-of-rood-at-moreton-dorset.html


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more