A Conversation for My Book Report (Sort Of)

Sex, bears and trains

Post 1

cactuscafe

This is just great. smiley - rofl Knowing you, and your brilliant mind, this could probably be true, but you say it isn't?

I've got as far as O Death, where is thy sting? What a brilliant analysis. smiley - rofl.

Love the dream imagery.

OK off to the next Dream.


Sex, bears and trains

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - laugh The only thing that isn't true is the book report - I knew better than to write it. The rest, well, happened. smiley - winkeye


Sex, bears and trains

Post 3

cactuscafe

Hah! Didn't I say it sounded true to you? See, I know your brilliance, you would have dreams like this.


The Bomb. A child's fear. Getting edgy now. Very evocative, the Civil Defense Bracelet, with Psalm 23.

Just checked up on the Pogo comic strip, which I'd not heard of.

I am fascinated by American comic strips.

In childhood we had a few of the Buster Brown comics, which some relation of my mother's had sent from New York. I loved them so much.

I digress. What about the artwork then, for this piece? A child dreaming of the apocalypse? What is that, on the bed? How did you get it there?

OK over to the next dream.


Sex, bears and trains

Post 4

cactuscafe

What if I decided on the wrong thing? Somebody might get mad and start a war. . .

I wonder if he ever dreamed he was the Austro Hungarian Emperor? That would have been funny.

Maybe it helps if you read it in German.
Memo to twelve-year-old self: No, it doesn't. Not one tiny, little bit

Some great lines here. No, seventh graders, I don't think The Interpretation of Dreams is the book for you, or for any stage in your life.

Dr Freud couldn't ever match your wisdom, not then, not now.

Brilliant.


Sex, bears and trains

Post 5

cactuscafe

Just love that artwork.

(drinks brandy)


Sex, bears and trains

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork I don't know about that, but I never did quite get Freud...now, Wilhelm Reich is another story. There's a terrific book by a Dr Charlotte Beradt, too, called 'The Third Reich of Dreams', which is on my bookshelf as I type this, in German. Terrific book about dreaming in the 1930s...

Er, Guide Entry on 'Pogo' is in progress: A87892663

Yeah, that's a mushroom cloud on the bed...we take liberties with the Library of Congress...smiley - winkeye


Sex, bears and trains

Post 7

cactuscafe

An article on Pogo! Excellent!

Ah yes, Wilhelm Reich. Now, there's a name I used to think about, at some stage in my life.

A mushroom cloud? Oh. Of course, now I look at it. You know what, I thought it was a huge bird. smiley - rofl. Seriously. A mushroom cloud is more relevant to the theme, naturally, but the huge bird is all I can see.

Look at the picture ... look at the picture... dreamstate .. hypnotise ..see? The bird!

OK OK I know, you're busy, trying to write a Guide Entry. smiley - rofl.

The Buster Brown comics from New York were fascinating. Amazing drawings, especially Tige, Buster's American Pit Bull terrier, who can talk, but the adults can't hear him.


Sex, bears and trains

Post 8

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - laugh I just remember the shoe company. Buster Brown shoes.

And that was a great film...'WR: Mysteries of the Organism'. Back in the 70s, I think, Yugoslav film. Orgone boxes, sex, and communism...


Sex, bears and trains

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

Fascinating dreams.

Freud is no help indeed (my partner had Strong Words to say about Sigmund as she found out that the theories of his that could be tested failed the tests...)


Sex, bears and trains

Post 10

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I figured his work was more a map of the Viennese psyche...smiley - whistle

But Tavaron would know that best. smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for My Book Report (Sort Of)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more