The Post Quiz: Strange, But Is It True? Answers

0 Conversations

It's time to separate the true anoraks from the dilettantes.

Strange, but is it true? Answers

Isn't it amazing how many of those 'strange but true' lists contains wild inaccuracies? You'd almost think Zarniwoop wrote them.

Are the following 'facts' true, false, or undetermined? Here's the backstory on those factoids.

  1. True. Square watermelons were invented by graphic designer Tomoyuki Ono.
  2. Undetermined. The jury is still out on cows and stairs. On the one hand, we have generations of US students who have played this prank at school, vs the Snopes.com message board, which opines that cows can go downstairs, but just don't wanna.
  3. False. 'Moldwarp' is Middle English for 'mole'. They aren't villains in Doctor Who (yet), just what shows up in FWR'S garden.
  4. True. Edison recommended 'electricide' as a way to discredit George Westinghouse in the battle between AC and DC. See Snopes.com, 'Seat of Power'.
  5. True. The 9,000-year-old piece of gum (honey-flavoured) was found by archaeologists in western Sweden in 1993.
  6. False. Smithsonian.com is firm on the fact that elephants can't jump. Not even a little.
  7. True. And the reason is just as stupid as it sounds. Virginia, 1940s, segregation...? We'll let Snopes.com explain.
  8. True. Point Roberts, Washington, USA, is an exclave surrounded by British Columbia, Canada.
  9. False. The two Wells Fargo ATMs at McMurdo Station dispense only US currency, which can be exchanged for other currencies at Scott Base, two miles away.
  10. True. See Genesis 1:20-22.

Now that you know about the ATMs, are you ready for that job at the post office?

The horns of a dilemma
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

10.10.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87878704

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more