A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife: Black-Faced Waxbill

Pretty birds, Willem

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

It is smiley - cool that zebra finches are in this group---they are popular as a cage bird here. I think the plan of building in a fake nesting chamber is really clever. I am glad that they sometimes go to your garden.


Pretty birds, Willem

Post 2

Icy North

Thank WIllem, your skill at representing birds never ceases to amaze. smiley - ok

We get waxwings in the UK, but they're rare. When there are harsh winters in Northern Europe, the flocks cross the North Sea and descend on supermarket car parks, where the ornamental cherry trees grow. The only larger flocks are the birdwatchers who chase them from town to town.

smiley - cheers Icy


Pretty birds, Willem

Post 3

Willem

Hello Elektra and Icy North! I sometimes think these waxbills are too pretty ... to many folks out there want to put them in cages! Even locally it's illegal to trap wild birds for the pet trade but it still happens, and a lot with these gorgeous little things.

Icy North, I've done a waxwing portrait also for this column! Waxwings are not closely related to waxbills ... they're also beautiful though!


Pretty birds, Willem

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

You know, now I kind of want a picture of those flocks of bird watchers...I'm weird like that...smiley - lurk


Pretty birds, Willem

Post 5

Icy North

Ah, WaxBILLS! I need binoculars smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife: Black-Faced Waxbill

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more