The Post Quiz: Tower Ghosts - Answers

1 Conversation

It's that time of year again.

Tower of London Ghosts: Answers

How many ghosts have you spotted around the Tower? Send us your ghost pics!

Multiple choice answers.

  1. Ghost sightings in the Tower go way back. In the late 15th Century, guards saw the apparition of…
    • the two murdered princes.
  2. Even earlier, during the reign of Edward I, a ghost interfered with construction. Workmen complained that as they built Traitor's Gate, the arch was being dismantled at night by an angry…
    • Thomas a Becket.
  3. One of the most famous ghost sightings in the Tower occurred around 1815, when a sentry died of fright after being attacked by…
    • a spectral bear.
  4. In 1817, a keeper of the Crown Jewels lived in the Tower with his family. At dinner one night, his wife was menaced by the apparition of…
    • a floating tube of bubbling blue liquid.
  5. In 1864, a sentry passed out from shock after seeing a ghost. He was acquitted at court martial (for sleeping on duty) when other sentries testified that they, too, had frequently seen the ghost of…
    • Anne Boleyn.
  6. Observers claim that the reenactment of the botched 1541 execution of Lady Salisbury can be seen on the anniversary of the grisly act. They claim the whole execution is played out, including…
    • the executioner chasing Lady Salisbury around with an axe.
  7. The ghosts keep coming. In 1983, a Yeoman at the Byward Tower looked up and spotted a stray prisoner wandering around, namely…
    • Sir Walter Raleigh.
  8. Another warder in the Byward Tower in the 1980s saw two skinny, medievally dressed men who were…
    • smoking pipes by the fireplace.
  9. Sound effects have on occasion been provided for the Tower by…
    • the ghost of Guy Fawkes, screaming.
  10. Nowadays, the Tower ghosts are more popular than ever because…
    • the tours are broadcast on social media.

Haven't seen a ghost lately? Try Youtube, that's where they all hang out these days.

The Tower of London in 1909.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

03.10.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87878425

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more