The Post Quiz: Spies and Their Day Jobs

0 Conversations

What do you know about…

The Post Quiz: Spies and Their Day Jobs

You can't put 'spy' on your income tax form. Okay, you can, but somebody will probably ask embarrassing questions.

So what did these spies do when they weren't spying? Name their day jobs.

  1. Mata Hari was a famous spy. What was her day job?
  2. What did Paul Revere do when he wasn't riding his horse?
  3. Julia Child's day job is well-known. During World War II, she was too tall to enlist in the US Women's Army Corps. What organisation did she work for instead?
  4. Chuck Barris claims he worked for the CIA. (They deny this, but then, they would.) What was his day job at the time?
  5. Harry Gold of Philadelphia spied for the USSR. What was his occupation?
  6. Jonathan Pollard spied for Israel. What was his job for the US government?
  7. Ninian Cockburn (d.1579) was a Scotsman who spied for the English during a dodgy episode called the Rough Wooing. (Don't ask.) What was his day job?
  8. Sandy Glen (oh, come on, these names) is cited as one of the inspirations for James Bond. What official job did he have for the British government?
  9. Eddie Chapman was a double agent in World War II – codename 'Zigzag'. What was his dodgy prewar 'day job'?
  10. Merlin Minshall was another 'inspiration for James Bond'. (How many were there?) Minshall liked to race and try for records – with what two forms of transportation?

Not sure you have all the intel? Click the picture for answers.

James Bond homage
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

30.05.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87872908

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more