The h2g2 Literary Corner: Bob the Mockingbird

0 Conversations

The literary corner goes all poetical about mockingbirds.

A word of explanation: In her recently published novel Go Set a Watchman, Alabama writer Harper Lee mentions the poet Sidney Lanier in connection with crossing the Chattahootchee River by train. I looked up the poem, and you can read it, too. Now, it is up to the reader to decide whether, as a poet, Lanier is an ornament to the South, or its answer to William Topaz McGonagall. But further research turned up this poem and picture in the book Bob, which tells the story of the Lanier family's pet mockingbird. Now, a mockingbird is a beautiful thing, much as it may annoy late sleepers (particularly if it's been hanging around people with irritating mobile ringtones), but whether this poem is a thing of beauty is a matter of dispute. Perhaps you will find it so moving that you memorise it in order to recite it 'at morn in brake or bosky avenue'. Or not.

Bob the Mockingbird

Bob the mockingbird.
Superb and sole, upon a plumèd spray
That o'er the general leafage boldly grew,
He summ'd the woods in song; or typic drew
The watch of hungry hawks, the lone dismay,
Of languid doves when long their lovers stray,
And all birds' passion-plays that sprinkle dew
At morn in brake or bosky avenue.
Whate'er birds did or dreamed, this bird could say.
Then down he shot, bounced airily along
The sward, twitched in a grasshopper, made song
Midflight, perched, prinked, and to his art again.
Sweet Science, this large riddle read me plain:
How may the death of that dull insect be
The life of yon trim Shakspere on the tree?
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

03.08.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87857545

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more