Stringed Instruments Tunings

0 Conversations

For guitar-like instruments with a body and a neck, strings are listed from left to right as you face the instrument with the neck upwards. In most instruments the strings are arranged so that the pitch increases from low to high as you go from left to right. Exceptions to this are the 're-entrant tuning' such as on the Ukulele where one of the strings is out of order, and the use of 'octave strings' where strings in a course are turned an octave apart to add to the colour of chords. Note that strings on these instruments are usually numbered in the opposite direction - on a guitar, the '1st string' is the one on the far right, which has the highest pitch.

Guitar-like Instruments
GuitarE2A2D3G3B3E4
12-String GuitarE3 E2A3 A2D4 D3G4 G3B3 B3E4 E4
Bass GuitarE1A1D2G2
Double Bass (viola family)E1A1D2G2
Bouzouki (Tetrachordo)C3 C4F3 F4A3 A3D4 D4
Resoldo Bouzouki1D3 D3G3 G3C4 C4
LuteG2C2F3A3D3G4
UkuleleG4C4E4A4

Violin-like Instruments
ViolinG3D4A4E5
MandolinG3 G3D4 D4A4 A4E5 E5
ViolaC3G3D4A4
MandolaC3 C3G3 G3D4 D4A4 A4
Cello (Violoncello)C2G2D3A3
Bouzouki (Trichordo)D3 D4A3 A3D4 D4
TzourasD3 D4A3 A3D4 D4
BaglamasD4 D5A4 A4D5 D5
Irish Bouzouki (octave pairs)G3 G2D4 D3A3 A3D4 D4
Irish Bouzouki (matched pairs)G2 G2D3 D3A3 A3D4 D4
Turkish Bağlama SazG2 G3D3 D3A2 A3 A3

Notes

  • These tables use the American naming system for notes. C4 is Middle C (261.6Hz). C3 is an octave below it while C5 is an octave above it. The semitone below C4 is B3 because the octave numbering has C as the lowest note of each octave. A4 is 440Hz.

  • The list is divided into two. The first table shows closely spaced tunings in fourths and thirds, like a Guitar. The second table gives widely spaced turnings mainly in fifths, like a Violin.

  • Guitar music is written an octave higher than it sounds, so the first fret on the 2nd string is written as C5, the C above middle C, although it is actually C4, middle C.

  • The Ukulele and the Tetrachordo Bouzouki both use similar tuning patterns to the top four strings of the guitar, so four-string guitar chords will work on them, although they'll be in a different key. The Ukulele uses a 're-entrant tuning' where the strings do not go in sequence from low to high. Instead, the first listed string is higher in pitch than the second.

  • Old sheet music for the Ukulele seems to be pitched a note higher, using the tuning A D F# B.

  • Twelve-string guitars are normally strung so that the octave string (the high one) of a course is played first on a down beat. Greek Bouzoukis and Turkish Sazes are usually the other way around.

1It's my own invention.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87856825

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more