Game of the Month: The Gamer's Path Most Traveled

1 Conversation

banner by FWR

How immersed can you become as a gamer? Quite a lot, it seems

It's Sunday.

Doesn't matter which Sunday, but the Sunday that makes you happiest would be best.

No matter which Sunday you have, Gamers always have a different Sunday, because where there's Gamer, there will always be Gamers Sunday
You know how it is, if there's a Gamer in the house, there's got to be a games console somewhere, right?

We don't care: latest Console? GameCube? Wii? Playstation (original)? Phillips CDi?1 if you have some half decent games for the platform, the fellow gamers will congregate. There is no better cure for 'The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul'.

The music takes you back to Midgar, Lon Lon Ranch, Castlevania, or back to the Swamp2

No matter what you end playing, you will at some point need to refresh the drinks, grab snacks or get new batteries for the WiiMotes. I can guarantee you will get engrossed and always get that feeling when you walk into a different room and can't remember why on earth you went in there. You stand rooted to the floor and take the room in3, your eyes almost averted.

You then remember why you went in!

It was to open (or close) the curtains, doofus!4

You walk out of the room satisfied.

You go back to where you came from. You sit down. Pick up your controller and press 'start'...
It is then your gaming partner 5 say Mags/Mum where's me…?6

And then you are reminded why you got up in the first place. You and your gaming partner were sligthly peckish. You remembered you had some Bombay Mix in the larder. Gaming partner was awkward, wanted strawberries so you had to hull a few…

You go back, press start again and…

(rinse and repeat until you’ve stopped playing Little Big Planet)

The worse part? You can do this several times a day Stone Cold Sober

Welcome to my world. The world where the road always taken is that from your sofa to the kitchen.

Game of the Month Archive

Magwitch

06.07.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Yeah, we've got one of them as well.2And you often find yourself humming the main themes and occasionally asking a fellow gamer what game it comes from.3It's probably your own kitchen.4Because you’re in the middle of a game and, well, you wonder whether the curtain in the kitchen is open or closed, don't you?5Usually my husband or son6This could be anything, snack, hairbrush, permanent marker, stripey pipe cleaner, drink…

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87856104

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more