The h2g2 Critique: The Locksley Hall Leaves the Solar System

0 Conversations

Poetry is so wise. Poetry is so enlightening. Poets of the 19th Century gave us so much to think about…like space travel…thank you, Alfred, Lord Tennyson. We should name a probe after you, or summat.

A Bussard Ramjet

The Locksley Hall Leaves the Solar System

Or to burst all links of habit1 – there to wander far away2,
On from island unto island at the gateways of the day3.
Larger constellations burning, mellow moons4 and happy5 skies,
Breadths of tropic shade and palms in cluster, knots of Paradise6.
Never comes the trader7, never floats an European flag8,
Slides the bird o'er lustrous woodland, swings the trailer9 from the crag;
Droops the heavy-blossom'd bower, hangs the heavy-fruited tree10
Summer isles of Eden lying in dark-purple spheres of sea11.
There methinks would be enjoyment more than in this march of mind12,
In the steamship, in the railway13, in the thoughts that shake mankind14.

Excerpts from 'Locksley Hall' by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1842).

Mr Cameron in character as Merlin.
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

01.06.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1It's called gravity, Lord Tennyson: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.2What? You'd leave the Isle of Wight?3Space…the Final Frontier…these are the voyages of the starship Locksley Hall, its continuing mission, to seek out new metaphors…okay, we'll stop now.4These are the ones visited by Zaphod Beeblebrox.5Must be a typo. Should read 'hoopy'.6And they have great group rates. Free drinks included.7Getcher antigrav shoes here! Only 25 poscreds, and that's cuttin' me own throat!8The absence of Europeans is apparently appealing to the poet here. He says nothing about Americans, though, and he should have. They ruin the ambience.9Oh, now stop. If you're going to let the caravan crowd in here, I'm leaving.10Make mine mangoes.11Even though the sky is just the wrong shade of pink. 12Oh, there is, there is. We recommend Vic's Place on Deep Space Nine.13These antique planetary methods of locomotion interest us not. We want an interstellar hotrod, at the least.14Shake this.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87854502

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more