A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife - Cedar Waxwing

Lovely Painting

Post 1

Rod

... and those pictures by Les Piccolo, Wow! Beauties.

(where do I find time to look at all these goodies)?


Lovely Painting

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

I must say we have some nice looking birdies in America too, although we don't have any cockatoos or birds of paradise or lyre birds over here. We do have pretty gem coloured hummingbirds and nasty bossy bluejays though as well as the wax wings.


Lovely Painting

Post 3

Rod

Ah, Elektra - you just reminded me that a short time after arriving here, while digging in the garden, one of these little charmers paused, just for a second, on my spade handle.
Piwakawaka :
http://www.visitzealandia.com/species-member/fantail/

Before the shelterbelt behind our garden was removed, we occasionally saw one facing a trunk, fanning and diving to catch dislodged insects.


Lovely Painting

Post 4

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

That is a lovely bird, Rod. God has been generous and given every nation lovely birds.smiley - smiley


Lovely Painting

Post 5

Willem

Hi Rod and Elektra, thanks for checking out my article and for your kind comments! Yes Rod that's a beautiful birdie. I am only very sad about all the incredible New Zealand birds that became extinct.


Lovely Painting

Post 6

Rod

Yes, Willem.

Damnable Brits etc, bringing in all those invasive species ... and not only Brits - even the Maori contributed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_in_New_Zealand

Just a few - the more obviously relevant ones:
Cat
Ferret
Rat
Stoat
Weasel

Mind you, it can go the other way...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_of_New_Zealand_origin


Lovely Painting

Post 7

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Yes those mini-predators wreck havoc on bird populations, I know I am glad that our cats are strictly indoor moogies. They are murderous on mice and I had to rescue a little wren from the smaller one. There are content to watch the squirrels and the birds feed from inside the porch.

I know that in Guam which is a US territory there was a slender tree snake who escaped off a ship and it virtually wiped out ALL the birds on the island.


Lovely Painting

Post 8

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Speaking of introducing species, here is an item that indicates beavers might help the UK with its flooding problem. The catch is they have to pick the right place to put them so the water will be in wetland catchments that sponge up the excess water and prevent it from flowing fast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-26122318

Beavers are really cool critters.


Lovely Painting

Post 9

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Here are other birds that are really useful to humans but not the prettiest things on the planet ----vultures nature's dustmen who never go on strike!


http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140210-vultures-halting-killer-diseases

Where would we be without all the natural scavengers out there? Dead probably and extinct by now.


Lovely Painting

Post 10

Willem

Hi Rod and Elektra! Sorry for only responding now, my net access isn't very reliable.

Rod, at least those two plants mentioned there are not considered anywhere near the worst of the invasive species we have to contend with here! But it's an interesting list.

I'll try and do an entry on the recently extinct birds of New Zealand.

Elektra, those were interesting reads! I love beavers, it would be interesting to see how a reintroduction of them goes. I'm a big fan of vultures too! Over here, we've also experienced a massive recent reduction in vulture numbers ...


Lovely Painting

Post 11

Rod

Recently Extinct Birds of New Zealand ?
I look forward to that, Willem (but don't rush)


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife - Cedar Waxwing

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more